Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vagabond Gross weight increase

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vagabond Gross weight increase

Cold and snowy outside and thinking about a gross weight increase for the Vagabond.
    Still trying to hunt down the Piper letter referenced in one of my 337's for the PA15 gross weight of 1150. ( I WILL find it!)
    Been trying to get in touch with Terry Bowden, the Vintage DER, about a 14% percent increase to bring it to 1311 lbs.
    The Air Facts 1948 article by Collins describes testing to 1500 lbs and flights to 1700 lbs for the PA-15.
    I did talk to Clyde Smith about this matter once and he said the original PA18 was a Vagabond with a C90 and a 1350 gross weight.
    It was apparently destroyed in a ground accident prior to first flight.
    I think it would increase value and utility.
    Steve/Gilbert, how did you get the 1800 Gross weight on the Clipper done?
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

We need to start a section here where everyone can post PDF files that they have squirreled away on their computer. It would be like a reference library for everyone.
    I'd be the first to post what I have on carbs.

Then maybe your search would be shorter....wouldn't that be cool
    Last edited by Pacerfgoe; 01-15-2012 at 01:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dave, We showed that the early Pacer was the same fuselage and wing as the Clipper with the main difference being the 125 hp engine and it had an 1800 lb gross weight. We installed 150 hp. This was all done with a good FAA guy and before they made gross weight increases ineligable via field approval.

Forest, Send me what you have and I will post it in the Library. http://www.shortwingpipers.org/member/docs.php

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vagabond Gross weight increase

Dave Try Pa-17 Tcds # A-805 revision 12 Aug 7 2006 shows 1150 lbs
    George

Post Thanks / Like

I apologize for the thread drift......

Gee.... I have the forum section of the site bookmarked, and over time I forgot about that section of the site. There is alot of good info there, and I'd be happy to send what I have Steve.....Whats your email address??

Now back to the topic at hand......

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Post Thanks / Like

George,
    I may be a little dense this morning but I don't understand your reference to the PA-17 TCDS. Mine is actually a PA-15 with a different Type Certificate that has a 1100 lb gross weight. Because all the parts are the same, people have been able to
    get a Field Approval for a 50 lb higher gross weight to 1150 for a PA-17. They are all Vagabonds, just different Type Certificate numbers.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Had a nice talk with Terry Bowden, Vintage DER, about gross weight increase above 1150 lbs. Requires recertification of the airplane, UGH.
    The good news is that he has also seen the letter from Piper saying if item 211, shock struts, are installed on a PA15 that the Gross Weight is 1150 lbs.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Dave,
    My PA-15 was converted to a PA-17 in the early 50's during the time the FAA had to sign off the Airworthiness and issue a new certificate every year.
    The year it was converted the FAA signed off the Certificate and made it a PA-17. I have a PA17 with a serial number of 15-118. The fact that it is now a PA-17 in eyes of the FAA gives it a 50 lb. wt. increase to 1150. The FAA will not change the model number now as a PA22 with a tailwheel is still a PA22.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 01-17-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave, I am interested in the letter if you find it as I would like to be able to use 1150lb as gross weight. My PA15 now has shock struts. Further, if you want to recertify your plane for a higher gross weight, I would be in line to buy the STC you could offer.
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by d.grimm View Post
    Had a nice talk with Terry Bowden, Vintage DER, about gross weight increase above 1150 lbs. Requires recertification of the airplane, UGH.
    The good news is that he has also seen the letter from Piper saying if item 211, shock struts, are installed on a PA15 that the Gross Weight is 1150 lbs.
    Dave