Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: interior side panels and paperwork

Post Thanks / Like

Default interior side panels and paperwork

I am considering replacing the ratty black vinyl stuff (and a little duct tape) below the window on the front door of the PA-22. Might replace it with a molded Kydex T piece. Now according to FAR Part 43, Appendix A, Paragraph C's relevant portions (below), I am allowed to do this. Additionally, even though it does not seem to be a requirement for CAR-3 certified aircraft (or aircraft operating under Part 91), Kydex-T is meant for aircraft interiors and is documented to meet or exceed the flammability requirements of FAR 25.853(a).

FAR Part 43, Appendix A, Paragraph C

9. Refinishing decorative coating of fuselage, balloon baskets, wing tail group surfaces (excluding balanced control surfaces), fairings, cowlings, landing gear, cabin, or cockpit interior when removal or disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is not required.

11. Repairing upholstery and decorative furnishings of the cabin, cockpit, or balloon basket interior when the repairing does not require disassembly of any primary structure or operating system or interfere with an operating system or affect the primary structure of the aircraft.
    If I am interpreting this correctly, I am allowed to to minor upholstery work such as this as per the owner allowed maintenance, with a logbook entry. However I would like the opinions of those with more experience to chime in to see if I am thinking about this correctly.

Thanks,

Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: interior side panels and paperwork

I think you've got it right. The detail of whhat you are describing does not meet the description of a "major repair" or "major alteration". If you were doing a complete change of the interior and have a change in weight and balance, then I would have a mechanic document the change and update weight and balance records.

Lou

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: interior side panels and paperwork

OK thanks. Yeah the side fabric is still in pretty good shape just the black vinyl has seen better days. Planning to weigh the old and new piece but I suspect the net change will be a matter of ounces.