Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beef-up for 0360?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Beef-up for 0360?

My buddy wants to know if he should beef up anything if he hangs a 0360 on certified or experimental 0320 regular Tripacer engine mount?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Beef-up for 0360?

Dont use the regular Tripacer engine mount. There is an engine mount for the O-360 he should use that. He'll probably have to weld on the attach points for the front gear. I dont have the part number with me, but I'm sure someone else on here has it.Or you can just call Steve's aircraft,Trimmer or the X-wing folks. They'll know.

Post Thanks / Like

King,
    If the O-360 your friend has requires Dyna-Focal mounts, then the UniVair engine mount P/N is L1056-00 with J7402-16 shock mounts. (data from my Steves' Aircraft 180 Pacer STC).
    The above comments about the Tri-Pacer nose gear mount would apply to this mount as well. If he has a O-360 with Conical Mounts, then not sure what mount would work, other than the stock one with some stiffeners (experimental for sure??).

Enjoy the day,
    John
    If

Post Thanks / Like

The carburetor is 3 inches lower and 3 inches forward in relation to the 0-320. That puts it right up against the nose gear strut. You CAN NOT use a standard air box because of this. I know of only one Tri-Pacer that was converted via a field approval a very (and I mean VERY) long time ago. There currently is NO STC available for the Tri-Pacer. All of the STC that are on the market REQUIRE that the aircraft be converted to standard (Tail Wheel) gear configuration.

John is right in that the only mount that might work without doing a lot of modification's would be the original Conical mount for an 0-320. There are no Dyna-Focal mounts made that retain the nose gear mounts. Even at that I would think long and hard at welding in some additional stiffeners to counteract the extra torque and weight of the 0-360.

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a 0360 Tri-Pacer with a one time STC. It had a 0320 sump with intakes modified to match up with 0360 cylinders. This would help clear nose wheel and steering rods.

Post Thanks / Like

Did that make a difference with e head temps? Aka leaner cylinder from the different length of the intake tubes?

Post Thanks / Like

No problems, plane made it through FAA flight testing ie. climb, cruise, OATs. There was a restiction on RPMs to maintain 160 hp rating.

Post Thanks / Like

Which engine mount did you use?

Post Thanks / Like

Univair mount, with Tri-Pacer nose wheel gear welded in.

Post Thanks / Like

You would'nt happen to have a copy of the paper work,would you?