Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Was my Colt really given away on The Price is right?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Was my Colt really given away on The Price is right?

Hi folks,
    I have a project Colt that has spent it's life right in this local area, it has only had a handful of owners and has carried a story with it from owner to owner!
    The story goes that it was awarded on the Price is right and promptly purchased by our flight school owner for the line!
    It stayed on the line until around 66 when purchased by a renter pilot. at this time the wings where recovered with 101 and the next winter it came down again for the fuselage recover.
    I have found videos online showing a gruuman give away but not my Colt?
    Also I am told my colt may be production number 20?
    Anyone remember seeing this? What a great thing it would be to see an actual video of this.
    I have heard others talking about the price is right Colt and I have no reason to believe otherwise but I would love to know for sure.
    My Colt is N4520Z
    Serial number 22-8022
    Thanks for any info

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Was my Colt really given away on The Price is right?

This is quite possible. Wikipedia indicates an airplane was given as a prize on the Price is Right. The host of the original series (1956-1965), Bill Cullen, was an instructor and patrol pilot in the Civil Air Patrol during WWII, owned a few airplanes over the years, and lost money in a failed aviation business attempt. Do you have the FAA records CD for your aircraft that shows the entire registration history? That might at least give you some clues in determining if the Price is Right story is plausible or not.

If the story is true, I hope you can find a video of the episode. Supposedly the nighttime episodes are the ones where the big prizes were given, and although most of them were originally aired in color, apparently none of them still exist in color. Some of the episodes are believed to have been destroyed, including most of the daytime run.

Post Thanks / Like

well i remember seeing a picture of a colt that was givin away on that show seems like it was in a book about piper history that clyde smith was selling at one of his seminars drop Clyde an email I bet he would know

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks much!
    I will dig up Clyde's E mail and drop him a line!
    It will be pretty neat if this story is correct!

Post Thanks / Like

awesome...

Post Thanks / Like

well as i am doing a little search it seems they gave away a colt and a grumman american still searching

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jay heil View Post
    well as i am doing a little search it seems they gave away a colt and a grumman american still searching
    Where did you find something on the Colt? And thank you for taking the time to help!
    I did see the video of the Grumman and that was pretty cool too!
    I contacted Clyde but he said his records stop after it left the factory, He also suggested getting the records from FAA which I am ordering, I have them on micro fiche but nobody has a reader anymore. Of coarse I don't know if the tv show would have transferred registration to them at all or simply assigned it to the new owner through a selling dealer or factory? anyway thanks to everyone for the help so far. I hope to confirm the story soon and really hope to see a picture of my colt sitting on the stage when new! Thanks very much!

Post Thanks / Like

i will try to look again actually i thought id found referances to 2 differant colts to be given away on the show i saw a picture with a logbook saying aircraft disassembled for the price is right and then reassemble afterwards

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like an ultralight was also given away in 1984: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyemgN57AX4