Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whole new airplane

Post Thanks / Like

Default Whole new airplane

After getting bad compressions last summer we pulled our cylinders and sent them to Alaskan Aircraft Engines. Looked at our cam, it was bad, cracked the case and sent it to ASI in Oklahoma. Three cylinders not repairable, bought three overhauled ones, got our one remaining serviceable cylinder overhauled. Cam turned out to be the wrong cam for the O-290D2 engine...ASI had the right one so we bought that. We put the engine together, then started looking at the baffles...my A&P partner Josh in the operation didn't want to put our horrid baffles back on the engine. So we completely reworked our baffles from the ground up as an owner-produced part. By the time we finished, we asked for Rocket's help with the annual inspection, and he came and found some more things that needed a little TLC, and helped us get some of that work done. This all took a long time...

But the past couple weeks we were finally at the point where we were ready to break in the engine and get it all back in the air. Took off for a quick trip around the pattern and the oil pressures went to 100 psi...

Troubleshot that and waited for weather to get a good break-in flight, and today was the day. A quick flight to verify the oil pressure was good, then launched for a 2.7 hour flight to run it hard.

Wow! Formerly didn't really ever get over 2400 rpm, but now it runs at 2600 in level cruise flight. Indicated speeds are in the 125-130 mph range at full throttle, whereas before we couldn't get it over 117 in level flight. Beautifully smooth feeling, oil pressure perfect, feels good.

Between Josh and Rocket, I've been learning a lot, and it's fun to see it pay off in the air. Thanks guys.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Whole new airplane

Troy, great to hear your back in the air with the Pacer!

Post Thanks / Like

It really sounds like its going to fly just like a Brand New Airplane. (2400 to 2600 is a big difference)
    Congrats on getting it back in the air.
    And on a selfish note.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one here eager to read some more of your flying adventures!

Ken
    Last edited by Throttle Pusher; 02-20-2012 at 01:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Good news indeed.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys. I feel really fortunate to get to fly, and am grateful to Rocket for his help getting the plane ready to go again. He's been a tremendous assistance. Right now my family is getting ready for our first actual out-of-state vacation since the airplane purchase, so I'm looking at some dwindling opportunities for winter adventures. But there will be plenty of adventures, and I'll drone on about them. Right now, the adventure is trying to fit as much flying as possible into two weeks...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Only got out for an hour today, weather came in and sent us home pretty quick. More to come...when the weather allows...

Post Thanks / Like

All that work and you didnt even paint the rocker covers.....Sheezzzz!!!

LOL nice acft.

The Eagle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleavn View Post
    All that work and you didnt even paint the rocker covers.....Sheezzzz!!!
    It's true, we sort of looked at each other and had the same thought after the baffling was on and sealed...and we didn't elect to go back and do it at that point...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Troy,
    Is that a pacer or a tri-pacer? If its the later that's really good cruise performance. Also. since you were rebuilding the baffles did you consider closing off the baffles to reduce cooling drag?

Post Thanks / Like

Tri-Pacer, but our IAS is 10-12 mph optimistic, so the numbers are in line. Our 127 indicated is more like 115 actual airspeed.

Not familiar with what you refer to in terms of closing off the baffles, could you explain?