Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Rear spar to fuselage attach fitting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rear spar to fuselage attach fitting

I've found that my rear spar to fuselage attachments are missing the AN960-516L washer shims called for in Note 1* of all the wing installation drawings. The left rear hinge fitting (11821) looks fine and measures 1.104 inch (vs. the nominal 1.125 shown in the drawing). The right rear hinge (also 11821) has been visibly clenched down to the spar in absence of the shims and now measures 1.059. Both rear wing spars are now all the way to the rear of these fuselage fittings leaving all the gap at the front, and I'm not sure if that is where they started.

Any thoughts on this? Should I have any concern over the slightly bent flanges on the right rear hinge fitting? I have to assume that Piper called for the shims to be installed in order to avoid bending of the flanges from tightening the wing attach nuts and bolts.

*Note 1 states: "A"&"B" MUST NOT EXCEED 3/32 INCH. WHEN "A" OR "B" EXCEEDS 1/32 INCH, SHIM WITH WASHERS AN960-516L TO SUIT.

By design the thickness of the spar butt hinge fitting on the wing is nominally .998 inches thick, and the rear hinge fitting on the fuselage has space for 1.125 inches, making room for 2 AN960-516L washers on each side ("A" and "B"), and requiring at least one on each side to avoid the other from exceeding 3/32 inch.
    Last edited by BrettL; 02-13-2012 at 03:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rear spar to fuselage attach fitting

I see very few fittings with the washers installed and have not seen a problem. The main problems I see are the rear fittings getting torn out in a severe groundloop.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Rear spar to fuselage attach fitting

Thanks Steve. I'm going to put the washers in where they will fit. I'm mainly concerned about the tabs on the right fuselage fitting being visibly and measurably bent/clenched inward.

IMG_0454.jpgIMG_0452.jpg