Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FAA can release "abandoned" data

Post Thanks / Like

Default FAA can release "abandoned" data

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FAA can release "abandoned" data

Another step in the right direction.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FAA can release "abandoned" data

I'm disappointed that the requirement to maintain engineering data and prohibition of destruction of airworthiness and historically significant documentation ends at 1939. This should extend at least until 1955. I'm also curious as to the wording that the bill gives the FAA the "authority" to release data it declares abandoned or releasable to the public. I personally obtained this type of data from the FAA in 1995, but by the early 2000s the FAA declared this type of data as "proprietary" or "trade secrets" and refused to release it to the public under the Freedom of Information Act. I am not aware of anyone removing this authority from the FAA except the FAA themselves. Will giving them the "authority" encourage them to do something they already had the authority to do, but chose not to? Or did someone else actually take this "authority" away from them? Or were they doing this without "authority" in the past?