Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED LANDING/TAXI/NAV/STROBES Huge Discount

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: LED LANDING/TAXI/NAV/STROBES Huge Discount

I will keep that in mind but we just finished our latest owner assited annual and we paid about $300. Cost us more to have the replacement intercom installed by the avionics guy. We even physically installed it and all he had to do was the wiring part. Granted that's the mental part where I'm obviously not qualified.

If you need to do an annual to help keep you current, give me a call next year and I promise I won't charge you much. I'm all about helping out here.
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    If you need to do an annual to help keep you current, give me a call next year and I promise I won't charge you much. I'm all about helping out here.
    I'm hoping that by next year I'll be the smiling owner of a PA-22/20-160

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had known before I bought mine. I got them at AeroParts & Supply Inc. They were $187.20 each.

http://www.2aps.com/led_landing_lights.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cwo4ret View Post
    I wish I had known before I bought mine. I got them at AeroParts & Supply Inc. They were $187.20 each.

http://www.2aps.com/led_landing_lights.htm
    That is a better price than the discount at Spruce.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    That is a better price than the discount at Spruce.
    With the 15% discount from Spruce the amount comes to $186.15. But if AeroParts has it at a anytime price of $187.20, that's super.

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Peter, I was coming up with $229.95 - 15% = $195.46. I might have the wrong numbers.

Post Thanks / Like

Too bad I missed this!. I'd seriously tend to prefer the alphabeam. Note that they use the same technology but the alphabeam draws 3.3 amps and the prometheus draws only 1.2 amps. Also, the alphabeam specifies 170,000 candela output while the parmetheus doesn't seem to specify actual light output. I would suspect that the alphabeam is seriously brighter than it's competitor.

This suspicion was echoed in the beachtalk forums:

"It would seem that the venerable GE 4596 is 150,000 candlepower while the Teledyne PMA'd Alphabeam LED is 170,000 candlepower and the Whelen STC'd Parmetheus is only 39,000 candela."

Post Thanks / Like

Triarius, I read that post as well. I think there is a bit of marketing confusion on light output testing on these different bulbs.
    In the Skywagon forums LED landing lights thread: "Check this out: Whelen’s test for the Teledyne Alphabeam out of the box shows values a fraction of what the Alphabeam’s output advertise!"

The consensus from user reports on various forums seemed to indicate satisfaction with the Whelen.
    Based on that and some of the specs plus lower price, I put the Whelen PAR36 landing lights in both positions on my Pacer. I've only flown at night once since though and it was my first time landing the plane at night since purchase with 2 bulbs working anyway so nothing to compare to.
    For me the deciding factor for LED was the ability to leave them on all the time in busy airspace, but still have them available at night when I might need them.