Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Carby Inlet Scoop

Post Thanks / Like

Default Carby Inlet Scoop

Hi All,

I have a PA-22/20, which has a weird little fibreglass inlet aire scoop. Doesn't look good and the pop rivets holding it on are working.

search for VH-PUT to seel an image of it.

I would like to put on something a little more Pacer acceptable.

Does anyone have a drawings/material spec for a replacement? I have a oi/foam element filter bolter to teh inside face of the arrangement inside the cowl - Appears to look similar to other Pacers's I have seen images of.

Regards
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Carby Inlet Scoop

This was the best picture I could find.
    11036_1278425074.jpg
    I am not sure if there is a drawing on the Short Wing Piper Club Drawing CD or not. I use .032 2024T3 aluminum. Piper used 3003 which is soft and tends to crack in the corners over the years. You can make a pattern out of poster board to get the correct fit. Here are some pictures of a Clipper cowling I built that might help. https://picasaweb.google.com/1147188...lipperCowling#

Post Thanks / Like

seems like steves aircraft up in oregon has a link on their website that shows how to build cow. I am not sure but I think it shows how to do the carb air inlet.
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, thats a good picture of it - very un Pacer like...... Plus its startign to fall off.

Thanks for the picasa link - pretty much exactly what I'm looking for.

Now, whilst I have you looking at my cowl - Have you ever seen a Cowl exit like whats fitted? Currently it fixed in place, although the exit is mounte by a hinge, im sure they were thinking of adjustable, in flight, but never got around to it.

Any idea's if this is a existing STC or similar.

Regards
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have never seen an adjustable cowl flap STC on a Pacer. Jim Younkin was going to do it on the Mystery Pacer but never got around to it.