Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bringing home the Clipper

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bringing home the Clipper

Hi, I am am new to the forum with my first Piper.

Won my Clipper in Ebay, It is a nose over case and will need a few pieces as well as a prop repair or replacement, windshield and nose cowl.

It will get a Budget truck ride from Indiana to Florida where I will start a serious parts list of items needed.

Any advice, cautions or warnings forthcoming will be appreciated.

Chris Sutton

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bringing home the Clipper

Chris,
    Welcome, my Vagabond arrived in a truck also.
    3x the time and money estimated works out about right.
    Have fun.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Looking forward to it, Chris. Just PM us with your Credit Card numbers and we'll be happy to help (nooooooooo, honest, just kidding! We're happy to help for because we LIKE TO!). I might ask if you left out the thought of AT LEAST a crank runout check (or was that some kind of Freudian mind block)? Your Lycoming has an A.D. to perform on the crank when "any" damage to your prop has occurred (running, or not). If the prop was bent or severely "stabbed" enough to require "repair ro replacement", it's a pretty sure thing the crank was damaged, too.

Post Thanks / Like

I will most likely have some extra poly fiber items if you have fabric repairs to make.(Poly Brush /Poly Spray)
    Moe

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You can strap the wings to the walls. Get plenty of foam rubber, duct tape, ratchet straps, rope and zip lock bags. Quilts and blankets from Goodwill are good for packing and a digital camera for every single thing you take apart saves a ton of head scratching later. Done a lot of these trips with open trailers and packed a few in containers and trucks. Way better in a covered truck. Good luck and be sure and post some pictures.

Post Thanks / Like

Chris, The Clipper is an excellent aircraft. You might look into a skylight when you are doing the windshield, it really opens up the cockpit.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on the new airplane!
    When your transporting it, don't use Styrofoam it will rub right through the fabric.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave, Thanks for the welcome, the Clipper is home and all went well with manageable overuns. Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Hi John, Thanks for the reminder, Just returned with the Clipper. Planning to drop the engine and then decide if a teardown or upgrade is in order. Time on the enginw is 1880 SMOH and 990 since a top overhaul. Thinking maybe an 0320 would be a nice addition, looks like all pluses. I wll be looking for advice and options on that part of the project.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

HI Moe, just returned and begining to do the inspections and there will be a little to do than expected, no surprise there.

PM me with what you have and any other bits and pieces that you may have I just may be in need,

Chris
    chrisesutton@hotmail.com