Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Need help building control cables

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help building control cables

I got my new control cable material today so I headed into the garage to start building.

I quickly realized this will be a big pain as I had originally thought.

I'm trying to make a test loop in the cable to see how this whole process goes. I started with the 1x7 cable because I knew it would be hard to work with. I'm having a bear of a time just trying to get it around the thimble and slide the sleeve up enough to crimp with my tool.

There must be an easier way! How do you guys do it?

Also, piper calls for three different crimp styles. The simplest is a single crimp that spans the entire sleeve. The other two are multiple crimps. Either two or three. It looks like my simple hand wrench style tool I got can do the three crimp one but it isn't wide enough to do a single. Would it be ok to do a triple crimp of everything or should I get a new tool or borrow the loaner from swpc.

I'm quickly seeing why new cable sets are $800+.

Thanks, Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images