Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help building control cables

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Need help building control cables

New aircraft control cable is already treated. I have seen people treat the old cables.

Post Thanks / Like

Stay with the 7x19 galv. cable for the rudder, the 2000/2100 lbs. is min. breaking strength and when you consider the actual force imposed on the cable during use of maybe 50 lbs.(just a guess) it does not seem to be an issue, I crimped my cables with the Nicopress tool, borrowed from work, and tested with the spring scale, big lever method. Used a ratcheting tie down to pull on lever and laid a blanket over the cable for safty. I heated the Par al Ketone in a pan on a hot plate to thin it before soaking my cables then wiped down while still warm. Good luck and keep on learnin.
    Bob (idahopacer)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Bob and Steve. I've got a solid grasp now so full speed ahead

Post Thanks / Like

Got my new supplies today so I started right at it. I'm a little concerned that this fancy nicopress crimper won't press straight. It passes the go no go gauge but just looks off. I haven't tried pulling to 60% yet. Take a look.

Post Thanks / Like

Tim,
    Keep practicing. The crimp should be square and even. Try clamping the lower jaw of the tool in a vice to give some extra stability and free up a hand to help hold the the copper sleeve square while crimping. Use the sequence in 43-13. Rotating the copper sleeve 180 deg. between crimps will keep the crimp a little more square also. It is possible that the tool needs some tightening at the pivot points. Just my two cents........
    Good luck
    Bill
    Last edited by captbill1956; 02-28-2012 at 09:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks bill. I will try that tomorrow when I work on it again.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

The cable swage looks good! I built all my cables and pull tested them to approx. 60%. Using leverage definitely helped out (1200 lbs is kinda hard to pull for most guys).