Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Torque Values for intake and exhaust nuts...bolts ???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Torque Values for intake and exhaust nuts...bolts ???

I was in a Super Cub with a friend, and happened to notice when he had the cowl open that there was over 1/8 inch clearance between one of the exhaust flanges, and the port on the cylinder. The nuts were installed, but obviously never tightened. I still wonder how long it had been that way. It had been many months since its last annual.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a minute, marky. You got some kind of ISSUE with reading comprehension, or do you just skim when you read, confident that you're smart enough to simply assume I'm dumb (the question is rhetoric, smart guy). Stretching the truth until it breaks is only impressive to people dumber than YOU, and that's WAY dumber than ME. Spend a little more time, and take a little care...your short pants are dangling under your knees. Yup. I'm angry. I am highly intolerant of no-nothing upstarts that clearly aren't as smart as they THINK they are.

I never said the NUTS were supposed to be torqued to that value. The word "studs" shows up several times in succession in my post, type by my own twisted old fingers, and not a single sentence I wrote was "incorrect". The ability to understand what you ARE reading is tantamount. You need to focus better. I'm getting tired of some johnny-come-lately with no comparable experience taking cheap shots. Knock it off. I've done three complete ground up rebuilds on short wings since the first time you logged in here and repairs, alterations, Annuals and maintenance on a daily basis. You've previously said to me that I "talk my game", rather than speak from experience. Now since I've been DOING THIS airplane stuff for longer than you have been alive, I find your cheek to be becoming extremely IRRITATING and out of place. I don't need this place, yet I find YOU to be a poor substitute for my "replacement". I believe I have asked TWO questions in the open since I've been in these forums (SWPO and SWPC, before that) and never got an ANSWER from anyone on either one. I've answered HUNDREDS, and have been "appreciated for it" publicly, and privately. Some people contact me here in PM and in e-mail for opinions and answers, and I have NEVER ONCE turned anyone "away".

You "want to contribute" your tremendous knowledge and abilities? Go for it, pal. Sink or swim. Let's see what you actually "got". I can tell already from what you've "done so far", that it ain't much. I just now forgot how to use the "Submit Reply" button.

Thanks, Steve, for a good, long run. Keep in touch.

Post Thanks / Like

I apologize in advance to all SWPO members, but I will not tolerate personal attacks from individuals such as Mr. W appears to be.

First of all, Mr. W, you don't know me, and as such as shred of decorum should be in order. I believe that my parents taught me correctly in that when referring to people that you are not familiar with, you do not use a contraction or slang of their name.
    If I (we SWPO members) were to accept your explanation, I would ask you why you would you provide information that the poster did not ask for, and possibly confusing the issue? I think that truth is self evident.
    Are far as swapping my knowledge about SWP's for yours, that would be a loss for the members. You are correct that my knowledge of SWP's is not on par with yours. If you were to read my prior posts, you would see that I have no grand visions of my knowledge basis. The problem is not your message it is your delivery, and quite frankly, many of us on this forum are over it. What is a fact is that you sir are not the "be all, end all" of SWP knowledge, and if you were to leave the group, we would go along just fine, contrary to what you may believe.
    The love of SWP's, and the fun and enjoyment that we get from them and this forum is too sacred to people like me, to suffer through your withering diatribes about your knowledge and our lack thereof. If you can't see that, then do us all a favor and hit the "unsubscribe button.
    I still have the profane phone message that you left me from an unlisted number, when I was foolish enough to reach out to you to attempt to get on the same page.
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

I think post #12 says it all, especially when taken in context of the entire thread and in the context of other posts elsewhere in this forum. It makes it very clear, at least to me, where the author of the post is coming from.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...I can't believe how this thread has gone crazy. I have huge respect for JohnW and his vast experience, I do hope he returns.
    On the other hand if you read post #5 he is clearly talking down to us, and implying we are idiots....I don't like that, and think it's uncalled for.

Thats all I'm going to say......

Post Thanks / Like

I have calmly and carefully read this whole sad story and if I were in JW's shoes, I would have reacted in a similar way - except my replies would have been peppered with a few "Aussie" expressions that would have probably got filtered out! We all know that JW can be a bit of a grumpy old bastard at times but his heart is always in the right place.

He is generous with his experience and advice and always gives more of his expertise than is asked for - and it's always good information. And yes, JW does appear to sometimes talk down to us - but I for one am happy to accept that he knows a ****load more than I do and I will absorb the information however it is delivered. That's just the way he is!

Let's look at specifics:
    "The torque values you seek are in Section V of the Lycoming Direct Drive Overhaul Manual (P.N 60294-7 in Service Table Of Limits Part 1 Section V)"
    "The brass exhaust nuts on the A and C Series Continentals cannot be tightened to standard torques because you will strip them."
    "pa20 "I am going to go out on a limb here, but I believe all this discussion is not answering the original poster's question."

Sorry - did I miss something - he gave the reference for Mark (who should have the relevent manuals if he is working on an engine) and answered Brett's question as well. He also gave the reasons for the low torque value on the studs.

"Spoke with Don Freeman of Aircraft Engines inc. today, he said the min 40 inch lb torque is for the STUDS. Std values of 96 in lb for 1/4" or 204 in lb for 5/16 nuts or bolts should be used for intake and exhaust flange torques."

"Looks like we got the correct info out there for our members. Thanks guys."

Aarh! - so Mark - are we to assume that Don Freeman's advice is correct and JW's is not, because that is the inference from your comment! I and many others would have reacted to that snide remark in the same way .

You obviously have a personal problem with JW and while you have apologised in advance, I would have preferred that you kept you opinions and comments to yourself.
    This website is supposed to be fun and I for one will not stand idly by and watch it degenerate into a carbon copy of the Short Wing Piper Club website of the past!

I would suggest everyone take a long cold shower - hopefully JW will cool down and return to the fold. If he does not we will know where the blame lies.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm
    The original question was about the torque values for the correct torque values for his o320 exhaust nuts, and intake flange bolts.
    This was answered in post #3.
    I found the first chapter in post #5 was a bit confusing. I know I,m not exactly a rocket scientist, but I thought we were talking about nut and bolts not Studs.
    Now I have no problem with people broadening the subject but that first chapter was written as though he was talking about the nuts when he was in fact talking about the studs. JohnW has a lot of good info and experience that he has given us, but I think that chapter could have been written better.
    You know, less confusing to us simpletons.

As for the torque on the Brass nuts, I would really like to know the answer to that one. I know these airplanes were designed before I was born, But I don't think Elbow torque was what the original designers wanted for those nuts.

Post Thanks / Like

The answer, Throttle Pusher may be here: http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/torque3.htm

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tatorbug44 View Post
    The answer, Throttle Pusher may be here: http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/torque3.htm
    Interesting data. Thanks for sharing that.

I have a stupid question though. The page appears to be referring to "bolt torque" and never mentions "nut". When the table is referring to "Brass", is it referring to a brass bolt, a brass nut, or both?
    Last edited by BrettL; 02-24-2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: add question

Post Thanks / Like

I found something to add to the mix here (for partially answering my own question anyway). I missed this in reading the service bulletin before. Continental SB96-7C indicates a torque of 100-110 IN/LB. for .25-28 size "Nut-Exhaust manifold flange. (Spirotallic gasket)" "All models", and 200-210 IN/LB. for .31-24 "Nut-Exhaust manifold flange (Spirotallic gasket)" "All models".

http://www.tcmlink.com/pdf2/SB96-7C.pdf

However I am not finding a torque value specified when a beaded stainless steel exhaust gasket is used, as called for in the 4 cylinder Continental A & C series parts manuals. This leaves the question, would it be correct to assume that because the torque is not specified that the general torque specifications found on page 10 of the SB apply?