Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Generator and voltage regulator

Post Thanks / Like

Default Generator and voltage regulator

I have a Delco 20A generator and voltage regulator as removed from my PA22 when it was restored and given an alternator system.

They may have a use in another project, but I need somewhere to start---I'm a long way away in years from when I learnt about this stuff originally!

Generally, if the generator is rotated in the opposite direction to normal, will it still generate power? Will the output be -12v rather than +12v?

The regulator has 3 coils. What are their functions? Is it voltage control, current control, and over voltage protection?
    Last edited by 59pacer; 02-27-2022 at 05:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Generator and voltage regulator

Quote Originally Posted by 59pacer View Post
    I have a Delco 20A generator and voltage regulator as removed from my PA22 when it was restored and given an alternator system.

They may have a use in another project, but I need somewhere to start---I'm a long way away in years from when I learnt about this stuff originally!

Generally, if the generator is rotated in the opposite direction to normal, will it still generate power? Will the output be -12v rather than +12v?

The regulator has 3 coils. What are their functions? Is it voltage control, current control, and over voltage protection?
    Delco original instructions
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. Just what I needed to get started.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Many of the issues with the original generator system can be traced to a lack of general maintenance regarding the voltage regulator. The regulator has a set of points that vibrate open and closed to regulate the voltage in the system. These points occasionally need to be filed with a special file and the points readjusted for proper clearance (voltage). This should be checked at each annual inspection. The check and adjustment is a very simple and quick procedure. With the prevalence of alternators and their solid state regulators for the last 40 years, many mechanics forget or fail to perform this basic task for generator/voltage regulator systems. Also, make sure that the voltage regulator is the correct part number. It has to match the voltage/output of the generator. Just because voltage regulators look the same does not mean that they will work properly. In 70 years, a lot of questionable maintenance can happen to our old girls.