Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Tips and Tricks for my next go 'round

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tips and Tricks for my next go 'round

As I mentioned on an earlier thread in a different forum, I looked at several SWP's when I was a brand new Private Pilot. I admit I was very used to the Cessna 150, but I'm wondering if I was just riding with owners that had not really mastered the SWP? I was told by more than one owner that the way to land the SWP was to maintain 70 on final and don't flair until just about time to smack the runway. I'd like to put out the feelers to see if this is 'how it's done' or if this was maybe some bad advice.

Also, the SWP has 2 notches of flaps, right? what is the degree displacement for each notch?

Thanks
    Jay

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tips and Tricks for my next go 'round

Jay,
    There are lots of ways to do things, get some good instruction
    From a instructor who has ShortWing experience.
    They are pretty normal airplanes, and lots of fun.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

flaps are 10 and 40 i have seen a few tris with 3 position flaps dont know if there is a pawl you can buy or if you have to cut the middle notch yourself

Post Thanks / Like

10 and 40, wow! good to know. What about your landing speed and any nuances there? Also, best I remember, there is no stall warning horn in these, correct?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

That is correct. No stall horn. That is why a few of the short wings have been bent on landing as you can run out of elevator to arrest the descent. Got to keep the speed up. Or, more appropriately said, don't get her too slow. They are really EASY airplanes to fly. Just like a new girlfriend, you just have to get to know and respect their quirks. You do that and she will not disappoint. Like previously stated, find an instructor that has short wing time as it is well worth the cost.

Johnnie

Post Thanks / Like

Jay,
    At the upper right cornor of this page in the ADVANCED SEARCH box type "flying technique" and you will find a bunch of previous threads that discuss how to fly a Shortwing.

While some of them refer to the Tailwheel types the same applies to the Trikes as far as approach speeds etc. The only difference is after the flair. The Trike guys can somwhat relax and the real fun begins for the Tailwheel group.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from one of those perfect evening flights. An average, well maintained, 1952, 135 Tri Pacer. 120mph, at 1,500ft across farm country, no wind, could take your hands off the wheel and feet off the pedals and could fly a straight, level line. Wish every flight was that way. Had a 22 in the early 60's and bought this one in 07. About 400 TT in Pa-22s and 500 in 172's. The Pa-22 reminds me of my old Mg B sports car, a fun car tho drive. The 172 reminds me of our Buick, comfortable to travel in. I fly a 90 mph down wind, 85 base to final turn and start down final at 80. Depending how far, and how high, a notch of flaps to come across the numbers at 65 and starting a flare. Power setting at 1,500 rpm. If you can feel the sink rate with the seat of your pants, you will know if your sink to fast, a touch of power and sink slows down. With full flaps and a touch of power and ground effect, can make a nice smooth slow landing. If you are use to flying a 150 on a hot day with full tanks and a passenger, you will be able to grease in a PA-22. My first 22 had a stall horn, this one doesn't. Don't miss it. These planes behind the power curve , don't break like a stall, they just sink like a falling rock. Some extra power will stop the sink. The 135 makes a nice 2 place plane, the 150 or 160hp would be nicer, 1,000 fpm climb rate, could pile more weight in the back seat and baggage compartment and burn more gas per hour. These will land similar to the old 172's with the 0300 engine. Glide ratio is less, that's why they are nice short field airplanes.

Bob Ohio

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome info, thanks! There are some differences though. In my Musketeer, I fly 90 downwind, 80 - 85 base and final, 80 - 75 for the landing. Always using flaps. One or two notches for a regular field and 3 for a short or soft field only. I have landed the Musketeer no flaps a couple of times, but the picture is really bad and you feel like your screaming down the runway. Landed 150's / 152 no flaps whenever I wanted, no problem. The big difference I see if that you are doing all this at 1500 RPM and I'm doing it at 1000 RPM. I try not to get into the habit of adding power for a good landing; however, I am familar with it. I did it regularly in the newer 172's, the ones with the heaver feel because of the lycoming engine. Add much power in the Musketeer and you might as well be landing where they land the shuttle.

the 135 HP models are good for 3/4 people as long as persons 3 and 4 are your fairly small kids?

I like your comment on the being able to feel the sink and do something about it, my first 100 hours or so I would have probably just stared blank at you, but now I get it.

Also sounds like you might out run me a bit. I normally count on about 115 indicated, but I pull it back a bit in cruise. Usually not in much of a hurry.

Post Thanks / Like

Gilbert, I took your advice and did the advanced search for more pilotage discussions. I found the Thread that Troy launched about his PPL check ride. That had me laughing my rear off. Reminded me of my check ride, the DPE wore me out, but it sounds like the DPE put Troy through the extra spin cycle. Any idea what Troy is up to these days? I really enjoyed that thread.
    JB