Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O-320 Oil Cooler Baffle STC

Post Thanks / Like

Default O-320 Oil Cooler Baffle STC

Hello, Have my tripacer in for the annual and my mechanic suggested I upgrade my oil cooler to the baffle mounted unit...I purchased the Niagra air parts 20003A oil cooler and now need to buy an STC to install it.....Emailed Stewarts and Svenns but didnt get a reply...any other options??

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: O-320 Oil Cooler Baffle STC

Those are your options. Try calling Stewart's during business hours west coast time, they'll help you out.

Sam

Post Thanks / Like

My question is why did he recommend the baffle mount.... The new aluminum front mount coolers from Niagra or Pacific Oil Cooler work every bit as well if not better than mounting an aluminum one on the baffle and you do not have to do any mods to the baffling or the nose bowl to block off the hole.

Just My 2C....

Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll be converting over to an alternator and lightweight starter shortly and it seems they all need the baffle mount cooler installed to fit......I'll give stewarts a call later in the day..
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JVader View Post
    I'll be converting over to an alternator and lightweight starter shortly and it seems they all need the baffle mount cooler installed to fit......I'll give stewarts a call later in the day..
    Thanks
    I've done the alternator conversion and the skytek starter on my Tripacer and I still have the original front mounted oil cooler. It is much easier to do the alternator conversion if you have removed the ridgid oil cooler lines and replaced them with flexible ones. The skytek starter isn't a problem either. Some of the aux. mounting lugs will need to be removed, but it is all covered in the STC.

Post Thanks / Like

Just called Stewarts and they were great, very helpful and $100 gets me all the paperwork....Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

C-ed: I'm interested in also doing a alternator conversion on my PA22-150 w/o moving my front-mounted oil cooler. What STC did you use that allowed you to do that? JVader: this is the first I've heard of "Stewarts" could you provide me with his/her/their contact information and maybe a brief who they are? Did you have any trouble with space for the rear mounted oil cooler?
    Thanks
    Burk

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the STC directly from Dan Stewart..they will soon start selling the STC through their company (http://www.stewartsystems.aero/default.aspx) and I think they mentioned the price will go up...the one issue were having now is finding a place to mount the air oil separator for my vacuum pump so I might just convert to a dry pump since i'm still running the original that came with the plane...I liked the idea of the baffle mount for my plane as during the summer the factory cooler couldnt keep up on hot days and in winter id have to tape significant sections of the cooler off...Im hoping the new aluminum cooler will let me climb steadily without having to level off and cool the oil in the summer and being closer to the engine will keep the oil warmer in the winter...we'll see!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the rear mount cooler. I can climb on a hot day maintaining 85 to 90 mph and not have to level off to keep the oil temp below 220 and cht below 400 however your baffle seals need to in great shape-no leaks. Climbing slower than 80 on a long climb will get oil and cht's hotter than I want them.

In the winter with oat below about 40f I still need to block of about 2/3rds of the cooler.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 04-11-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Burk, "Stewarts" refers to the Stewart brothers, Doug and Dan, who developed and sell the Stewart System waterborne covering method (http://www.stewartsystems.aero/default.aspx). They are also fine gentlemen and good friends of mine who live a few hours away in the lovely little town of Cashmere Washington. They have done a lot with shortwings over the years; a wingtip mod, the aforementioned baffle mounted oil cooler, and some other things. Most of the brother's time these days seems to be spent restoring old Bellancas, recently one for Hawaiian Airlines. http://www.hawaiian-skies.com/blog/2...-bellanca-home

Another reason I've found for moving the oil cooler is getting rid of the cooler supports up front. Two supercubs we use for flight training were constantly breaking those mounts, every couple hundred hours, and we've had no oil cooler problems in the five years since I moved them to the rear baffle. Granted those cubs live a rough life but that's been my experience.

Sam