Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: O-320 Oil Cooler Baffle STC

Post Thanks / Like

Default O-320 Oil Cooler Baffle STC

Marv and I are making a new set of baffles for his narrow deck 160 hp. The 200 hour old oil cooler had cracked.. reinforced with 0.032” stainless and made 4 spacers to evenly load the flanges on the oil cooler.. bit heavier than needed as the bolt should have been number three not four.. machined all four to the same length ...within a thousand and a half..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by mmoyle; 07-04-2018 at 12:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: O-320 Oil Cooler Baffle STC

That beats me using 3/16 hard aluminium tubing with washers. Nice!
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

What is the thermal coefficient of the aluminum radiator vs the steel standoffs so carefully machined? In other words, at highest potential operating temperatures, will the radiator grow more than the sell clamps securing it will safely allow?

Sent from my SM-G955U using ShortWingPipers.Org mobile app
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Default O-320 Oil Cooler Baffle STC

Ha! One reason...well two. Wanted to transfer the load so to speak. Wanted larger surface area when the assembly was put under compression. This transmitted more potential bending force to the stainless plate...and somebody..is somehow....this eliminated any concerns. Maybe...a re-do.....vibration isolation mounts....I joke. If we had ordered AN3 bolts...would have done the same thing, used the same 4130 3/4” round stock and smaller diameter 4130 tubing and larger OD washers at the bolt heads.

Last edited by mmoyle; 07-04-2018 at 04:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
    That beats me using 3/16 hard aluminium tubing with washers. Nice!

Yours and mine save weight. Marks look nicer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I take it Marv's ws not done per the Stewarts STC? Prior field approval?

Post Thanks / Like

Nope...nada.. looked through all the log books and the FAA CD for the aircraft. Stewart’s STC calls for a .040” thick aluminum doubler...I duplicated Airforms Inc’s PMA’d baffle reinforcements using stainless. Waiting on a call from the A/I.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Marv and I are making a new set of baffles for his narrow deck 160 hp. The 200 hour old oil cooler had cracked.. reinforced with 0.032” stainless and made 4 spacers to evenly load the flanges on the oil cooler.. bit heavier than needed as the bolt should have been number three not four.. machined all four to the same length ...within a thousand and a half..

Bit of explanation......was going to just patch up the old baffles and work up a new set when I got home. When I got the plane, the baffles were cracked where the oil cooler was mounted as no doubler was installed. I made a .040 doubler, as I understand is called for in the Stewart STC, and installed it, with sign off by the AI. But the baffles were in such bad shape that they did not hold the doubler, which resulted in the oil cooler cracking. Ordered a new cooler and realized that we were going to have to rebuild the baffles or it would happen again. We duplicated the old baffles, but fit the new pieces a lot better, and used the Air Forms cooler mounting as a pattern for the oil cooler installation to prevent future fatigue cracking of the oil cooler ears.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Anyone have Stewart Drawing number 10012 for the oil cooler reinforcement on the rear baffle? Bought the STC but wanted to get started on it before it arrives via snail mail.
    Would you mind sharing this? I am having baffle cracking issues on my rear mounted oil cooler installation and would like to compare the differences between my field approved installation and Stewarts. In my instance the field approval only calls out for a 0.040 doubler on the engine side of the left rear baffle.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is how Steve solved the cracking problem on my field approved installation. He broke a pierce of 0.030 steel and riveted into the corner.

Attachment 17574Attachment 17574
    I do have a small crack in the corner of the 90 degree bend at the bottom of the opening.
    I believe it’s caused by vibration as there is no structural load there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 08-03-2020 at 10:23 AM.