Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O-320 Oil Cooler Baffle STC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: O-320 Oil Cooler Baffle STC

Does ether of the Stewart brothers own a WWII jeep?

Post Thanks / Like

Sam, thanks for the video on the Bellanca. Any pictures from your project?

Here in the NW, I have not had any problems with my baffle mounted cooler and over heating. I do need to completely block it off in the winter.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Stephen, I was hoping the baffle mounted cooler would not need modification for winter flying. So this is not the case?
    I've got the old front mounted cooler and have this on my to do list to upgrade to an aluminum cooler on the baffle mount.
    What I'm seeing in this thread though is that baffle is not necessarily better than front?

Post Thanks / Like

As far as the baffle mount, I have seen on a Van's RV where someone installed a sliding grated door that could be adjusted in the cockpit. I think that would be great if one could get it approved.

Tim

http://www.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/...ct=oil_shutter

Post Thanks / Like

JVader

just to chime in my 2 cents worth. Why do want to go through all of this trouble if it's not necessary ? We did the alternator conversion ( B&C specialties ) on my 55 Tripe and did not have to move anything. Given , it already had the flexible oil cooler lines . I believe another individual on this tread also did not have to do any cooler relocation. Just scratchin' my head ....

Johnnie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MN_flyer1 View Post
    As far as the baffle mount, I have seen on a Van's RV where someone installed a sliding grated door that could be adjusted in the cockpit. I think that would be great if one could get it approved.

Van's oil cooler shutter
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

So if you velcro the Van's shutters on, then no 337?

Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen,
    I have (on a PA22-150, O-320-A1A) a front mounted oil cooler, solid steel lines, and a 20amp (stock) generator. My ultimate goal is to convert to a larger (at least 50a) alternator. I've seen where people say that certain alternators may be installed without moving the oil cooler to the rear but with flexible oil lines. I've looked into making the lines flexible which would cost me at least $200 in parts. Is the advantage of moving the oil cooler worth the extra money (how much would it cost to move the oil cooler to the back... do these STC's, ie. Stewarts' STC, come with all of the components included or just the paperwork). I'm located in a FSDO that does not easily approve field approvals, therefore I'm looking for options that would be straight forward not requiring excessive paperwork. I realize this is a Oil Cooler Baffle thread but if anyone wants to comment on the alternator side of it too, I would appreciate some comments. To this point I have not had a problem with the oil cooler bracket breaking nor the steel oil lines leaking.
    Thanks
    Burk

Post Thanks / Like

I already have the flexible lines on my plane,everywhere I read said you needed the a "rear mounted oil cooler" to get away with the alternator conversion...The Niagra cooler I bought was cheaper than "cub cooler" niagra sells and all I can eliminate 6 feet of oil hose and clean up the front of my plane...I'll post more results this summer once I get it back in the air flying again...
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I have the inter-av alternator with a front mount oil cooler. Flexible lines of course.

Tim