Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: O-320 Oil Cooler Baffle STC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: O-320 Oil Cooler Baffle STC

A friend of mine used the 9 element oil cooler on his PA20-150 and has trouble keeping his oil temp up. Finally had to block part of it.
    Most shortwings I have looked at with rear mount oil coolers use the 7 element cooler, mine included.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, right Steve. Those look like a good option then.
    Gilbert, I will check into the 7 element. Have not been able to find specifically what the STC calls for so will do more research there.
    When I find out, considering the Pacific brand as it seems more widely available although most seem to prefer Niagra?

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have a copy of the Inter-Av flight manual supplement or operating instructions? I think it is report 65-113 that I am looking for per the 337. I have been trying for 8 months to get the info from Inter-Av. They have told me 3 different times that they will send it but I have yet to receive it. Their website has since then gone offline so I am not sure what is going on. I am getting very poor support from them. I have provided them all of the PN's and Sn's of components on my installation (Alcor 1987). They agree that it is their stuff. They only want $12 for the paperwork but even with my supplied credit card they are not getting it done.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

What are you planing to do about the hole the original oil cooler will leave behind? I moved my oil cooler several years ago and since then have a "temporary" plug. Has anyone gotten away with a fiberglass replacement (like Aircraft Spruce MC-3A)? Here is a picture of the nose of my Pacer.
    http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/...Z/IMG00097.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Did you ever get your paperwork from Inter-Av? I actually went by their shop in San Antonio to pick up the alternator and paperwork and had a great conversation with the owner who flies a Tri-Pacer that has been in his family since new. His dad flew it all over South America and back. Anyway, that's another story. I sold that Tri-Pacer to a guy in Denver not long ago but I may have an extra copy of the paperwork. If I can find it I'll send it to you or contact the new owner and see if he can send me a copy.

Post Thanks / Like

rwdurham

Thanks. I appreciate your help. I have not gotten anything from them yet.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

What model of Oil Cooler is called out in the Stewart STC? I've got a plane that is going in for work this week and have decided to do this modification to allow a Plane Power Alternator setup to be installed. I was going to go with Svenn's kit as I need baffles as well but the build time is about a month. I called Stewart's but apparently Dan (?) is out sick and I wanted to get a head start on ordering the part.

I see Niagara Air Parts 20003A listed in this thread but I've seen discussions of 7, 9, and 10 row coolers so just wanted to clarify.
    Last edited by sophistical; 01-28-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sophistical View Post
    What model of Oil Cooler is called out in the Stewart STC?

I see Niagara Air Parts 20003A listed in this thread but I've seen discussions of 7, 9, and 10 row coolers so just wanted to clarify.
    Seven row.

Post Thanks / Like

I was thinking about this today, my hangarmate is rebuilding the engine on his '60 Carribean and is considering the baffle-mounted oil cooler.
    Two questions come to my mind:
    1) What do you do about the hole in the nose bowl where the old cooler used to be? We would like to see some photos detailing the cover up, form inside and out if available;
    2) What do you do about a "winter Operation" cover? The original cover would snap in place over the chin opening, now there must be a clamp-on affair of some sort, right? Again, some pictures or a mechanical drawing of what has worked for you all would be great!

Thanks,
    Glen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    1) What do you do about the hole in the nose bowl where the old cooler used to be? We would like to see some photos detailing the cover up, form inside and out if available;
    Glenn, check out this thread for some ideas and information on this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    2) What do you do about a "winter Operation" cover? The original cover would snap in place over the chin opening, now there must be a clamp-on affair of some sort, right? Again, some pictures or a mechanical drawing of what has worked for you all would be great!
    Good question, I think most folks are just taping over the cooler as it's accessible from the left engine cowl flap but that's just my guess!