Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PA-22 Drum Brake Ring Loose

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ring around brake drum

Hi All,
    I installed new tires and repacked the wheel bearings on my PA-22/20. There are two aluminum rings the circle the inner edge of the brake drums. They seem to be loosely press-fit. One them seems quite loose.
    I am sure someone here knows what is going on.

Here it is:
    http://youtu.be/5A07WWw8SHw

Thanks

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ring around brake drum

Fairly common problem - you can try to remove the inner wheel half and drum and support it well on the bench and use a punch to stake the ring to tighten it to the drum

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Ring around brake drum

I tig welded the inside of the ring, and turned it on a lathe .006 under size. I then heated it to 250f in the oven and slipped it over the drum. Once it cooled it was very tight. It worked perfect. I wouldn't use a punch to stake it as it needs to be in contact all the way around in order to act properly as a heat sink.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: PA-22 Drum Brake Ring Loose

Merged your thread with another that might be helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I recall seeing peening marks all around a groove in the ring. TIG welding and machining are not an option, so I will try re-peening.

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

That is a short term fix, as a very small percentage of the ring willl have good contact with the drum. It will loosen up in short order.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Loose brake hub ring

I've scanned parts catalog, photos, and exploded diagrams - but personally have not pulled apart a PA22 Cleveland drum wheel assembly. I've considered discs but with the upgraded master cylinder by Oregon guys, generally happy with johnson hand brake.

During ground inspect, noticed this 'ring' disc piece is loose, is it internally bolted and has come loose, or a press fit that's ???

Anyone seen this 'ring' loose before, and can provide insight, very much appreciated. Pretty sure it's the disc, for a caliper, looking at the disc version of the wheel. I do not see attach fasteners internal to the wheel for the disc in parts manual. Is it common to have the disc remain on the wheel for a drum brake configuration.. seems odd. Tad confused here.

N23RB, SNS, CaliforniaDrumHubRing-Loose.JPGDrumHub-No-Ring.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Loose brake hub ring

Hi John,
    The ring is part of the brake drum assembly, it's there to keep the open end of the drawn brake drum from spreading or splitting when the shoes expand for braking, and act as a heat sink.
    It's OK if it's a little loose or rattles when you taxi.
    If you try to slide it off the drum (towards centerline of aircraft, it should be impossible to do that.

That ring is aluminum, it would not last very long as a brake disk!

Happy landings,
    GG
    Last edited by Glen Geller; 08-27-2018 at 01:23 PM.
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

This issue has come up a few times before and I have merged those threads. Some good information in the prior posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Loose brake hub ring ROGER THAT

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Geller View Post
    Hi John,
    The ring is part of the brake drum assembly, it's there to keep the open end of the drawn brake drum from spreading or splitting when the shoes expand for braking, and act as a heat sink.
    It's OK if it's a little loose or rattles when you taxi.
    If you try to slide it off the drum (towards centerline of aircraft, it should be impossible to do that.

That ring is aluminum, it would not last very long as a brake disk!

Happy landings,
    GG
    Thanks for merging prior posts. Awesome reply, very helpful. DOH ?! That ring would fail as a disk, not a very good guess - heat sink and hoop restraint makes perfect sense.