Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: PA-22 Drum Brake Ring Loose

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA-22 Drum Brake Ring Loose

The previous owner of my latest project (an A&P, IA) solved his rattle this way. (3places)[ATTACH=CONFIG]14010[/ATTunACH]
    The wheel is not drilled. A wire tab is between the tire bead and the wheel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by DrHook3960; 08-27-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drum Brake Ring

Okay, I'm looking for some of the stored knowledge here. I have a '58 Tri-Pacer and was working on the brakes this weekend. As I disassembled the wheel from the brake drum, I have a piece that I can't understand it's application or locate in the Univair parts catalog; fig. 40 item 7A. This item is a ring that goes onto the brake drum and as best I can figure, helps keep the drum round during braking action. But nothing holds it to the drum. I'm open to ideas, answers.
    Wheel Brake Drum Assy.jpg

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Badger, I merged your post with another thread on the subject. This comes up from time to time and there is some good information posted here. It has been said it is to disapate heat.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, Thanks for this. I wondered if this thread might be the same as what I had seen with my plane. Looks like I'll have to remove and disassemble the wheel to make some minor maintenance to the heat sink ring to the brake drum.
    Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is an Ad here in the classifieds for some wheels for $40.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

Respecting the earlier advice for resetting the snug fitting heat sink, I'd run a tig bead in several places around the face of the ring. Usually welding will do some shrinking of the material. While the ring is on a bench measure its internal diameter then also measure the outside of the drum. You'll easily need .030 differences between the two before you torch heat for sliding on the rings. They don't normally go on until flush, go past that by about an eighth of an inch leaving the drum proud to the ring.

Some have used JB weld which is sort of crazy allowing for their actual purpose being on there in the first place.

I got fed up over the years fooling around with them and built a couple of new ones using 1/4" steel. I also found the drums can easily be .050" differences in diameters which needed to be allowed for when turning the sinks. I haven't had any problems in a long time swapping the aluminum ones out.

Drum.jpg
    Last edited by Jim; 09-08-2023 at 07:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For some reason your picture didn't load correctly.