Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GlareShield

Post Thanks / Like

Default GlareShield

58 PA-22/20

Mine has the original plastic glareshield which is rather warped, busted, etc. There is a vertical compass mounted on it that does a real dance......

I cannot find any ready-to-install replacements, perhaps there are not any. I could fabricate one but it may be beyond my non-existent metal forming skills. Any other options/ideas?

Thanks

Rich

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: GlareShield

well there is 1 made out of carbon fiber that is [I think] still for sale it is very nice and it was only 200.oo a couple years ago the place that made them is or was E G Composites Inc 1702 Midwest Boulevard # A Indianapolis, IN 46214-4318
    (317) 271-5075

Post Thanks / Like

richas - search for "Kydex" on this site (top r/h corner) as there is some good info on this stuff and also some links to a video on how to use it.
    It appears to be very similar to the original stuff used for the glareshield in the Colt and moulding a new one could be done by a reasonably handy person.

Post Thanks / Like

I made mine out of Alu. A millon wacks with the plastic ball hammer and sand bag. Plennishing hammer, english wheel, bead roller. It wasn't easy but a piece I'm proud of. I'll try to find the pics.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I will look and see if I have a spare.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, do you have pictures of it? Did you made it yourself?

Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the thread below, I put pics in that thrad of making one.

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...highlight=dash
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

I posted yesterday in the "Where can I find it" section. I too am in need of a new one because mine has been out of the plane for 25 plus yrs and is cracked, broken and distorted. Just so happens I work for a plastic thermo-forming company that does this kind of work. My boss said we could make a mold if I could come up with a better glare shield than mine. GeronimoDriver should be posting some pics of one he wants to sell, if it's better than mine I would buy it for the mold.
    So is anyone interested in a new one, and how much do you want to pay. My boss said we could do this on the "sly" to keep the cost way down, but it still depends on how many we want. We could make as many as 100 or so before the wood mold starts to go bad .

Post Thanks / Like

Count me in for one! 58 PA-22/20

How about doing away with the ashtray? Or perhaps just an outline so one could cut a hole and install it if they wanted to.

Rich
    Last edited by richas; 10-01-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by richas View Post
    Count me in for one! 58 PA-22/20

How about doing away with the ashtray? Or perhaps just an outline so one could cut a hole and install it if they wanted to.

Rich
    Rich, that was my thought too, get rid of the ashtray. Should not be a problem to leave a small outline of the ashtray that could be cut out if you wanted to. All the ribs would stay for support, but the cut out holes for the speaker would be solid. If you want the holes you could use a router. I think we should be able to get these around $100. As soon as I know more in the next couple days I will post it.