Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: For the Wreckord

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: For the Wreckord

Quote Originally Posted by Tripacer76D View Post
    This is one of my favorites. Take a look at it and you tell me what stands out as odd:
    Must have been a little crowded in that airplane;-)

Post Thanks / Like

My hunch would be that there were two "lap children".
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Six People! I hope they were small or aliens.

Post Thanks / Like

I shouldn't laugh, but yeah, that's gotta be a record! Even if they WERE lap kids, how did they get off the ground in the first place?? Don't get me wrong, I believe in our shortwings as much as the next guy.....

Jim K
    Jim Kirkendall "Knowledge is good."

Post Thanks / Like

NTSB Identification: XXXXXXX
    14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
    Accident occurred Friday, January 03, 2014 in Forsyth, MO
    Probable Cause Approval Date: 04/23/2014
    Aircraft: PIPER PA-22-108, registration: N4505Z
    Injuries: 2 Uninjured.
    NTSB investigators may not have traveled in support of this investigation and used data provided by various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.
    The pilot reported that, while in cruise flight, the airplane experienced a total loss of engine power about 8 miles from the intended destination. The pilot was unable to restart the engine, and he subsequently ditched the airplane in a lake. A postaccident examination of the engine did not reveal any mechanical anomalies that would have prevented normal operation. No fuel was found in the fuel system during the postaccident examination; however, the airplane had been submerged for nearly 1 week before it was recovered from the lake.

Postaccident performance calculations indicated that it is likely that the engine lost power due to fuel exhaustion during the accident flight. Although the pilot reported that he had completed preflight planning calculations (the actual paperwork was lost during the accident), the investigation determined that the wind aloft values that the pilot likely used in his preflight planning calculations were significantly different from the actual wind aloft values. As a result, the airplane's actual ground speed was significantly less than what the pilot would have anticipated. The pilot also reported that he completed the accident flight at less than 65-percent engine power, which would have increased the length of the flight and the amount of fuel used during it when compared to higher engine power settings; the available cruise performance charts lacked true airspeed and engine speed data for operating below 65-percent engine power. Therefore, the pilot could not have estimated the total flight time and fuel required for the accident flight with a high level of accuracy. Additionally, the pilot reported that the mixture control cable had fractured during a previous flight and, to continue his cross-country trip, he safety-wired the carburetor mixture control arm in the full-rich position. As a result, the pilot was unable to properly lean the fuel mixture during the accident flight; however, it is unknown to what extent the pilot planned for this condition. Further, the pilot made an unplanned stop at an airport located along his planned route of flight. The additional fuel consumed during this unplanned stop (taxi, engine run-up, takeoff, and climb to cruise altitude) would have further reduced the amount of fuel available to complete the accident flight.The National Transportation Safety Board determines the probable cause(s) of this accident to be:
    The pilot's improper flight planning, which resulted in a total loss of engine power due to fuel exhaustion.

Post Thanks / Like

is this anyone that 'we' know?? because I'm so tempted to start talking about so many different problems in this report...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Bummer. Does make one scratch one's head.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j_w_Bruce View Post
    is this anyone that 'we' know?? because I'm so tempted to start talking about so many different problems in this report...
    I X'd out the N number just in case it was.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone that was ever directly involved with a an accident could probably find multiple problems with the NTSB report. In my opinion, unless you are a celebrity, they just come up with a cause to get it from the in basket to the out without an in-depth investigation of the accident, including blaming the wrong pilot in-spite of multiple witnesses, radar tracks and gps tracks.

Post Thanks / Like

The N # is still visible. In any case, it's not too difficult to obtain that information without it.
    Jim Kirkendall "Knowledge is good."