Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vagabond wing tank leaks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vagabond wing tank leaks

I have a PA-15 with a 9.5 gal right wing tank that is leaking. It is plumbed into the main tank. I have looked through the archived messages looking for a discussion that talks about the process involved for taking the tank out and replacing it but have not found one. My IA has the logs and I do not know what kind of tank it is, but was installed with a 337 and is covered with fabric, not a cover. What is involved with removing and replacing the tank? I am wondering how much it might cost to fix, as I have a fuselage tank, of course, but with my C-85 engine, I do like to have the aux tank available on x-country flights.

THanks, Eric Schlanser

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Vagabond wing tank leaks

Eric, Any idea what brand the tank is? Probably have to cut the fabric in that area and undo the drag and anti-drag wires.

Post Thanks / Like

No, I do not know what brand it is. It was installed about 1992 by a previous owner. Since it holds 9.5 gallons maybe that is a clue. I will have the logs tomorrow and will retrieve that information. Can the tank be removed by only removing the drag and anti drag wires on one end? Do I remove the top fabric or the bottom fabric or both? How many bays of fabric need to be removed? The IA I am working with is inexperienced in this repair but is willing to learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Eric,
    Just my opinion, but for what it's worth, I would find an IA that has some experience with this type of repair. Even if he/she tells you what needs to be done and you do it and pay him/her a fee, you'll sleep better for it. I have a friend that is an IA, but he is a "big iron" guy. 25 years with a jet company. For any fabric repair/technical info, I use a local IA that has many years of experience. For me, it's worth the peace of mind. Luck - Dwain

Post Thanks / Like

If only there were such an experienced mechanic in my area I would seek him out for sure. But there's not. I will need to hold the manual for the one here. Fortunately, he's a small airplane mechanic, just not experienced in fabric. Yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Eric
    the people and the resources on this site are phenomenal.the amount I've learned........

don't be afraid to ask- you will get answers

Shane

Ps: get a shortwing CD from the Shortwing Piper Club- invaluable

Post Thanks / Like

I should be more positive. I would go for an experienced mechanic if I could find one in my area. I can put the wing in my pick up truck and haul it. Can anyone recommend a mechanic experienced in this type of repair in the SW Michigan area? Thanks, Eric

ps - I enjoy "reading" my copy of the Vagabond CD I bought a few years ago from the Shortwing Piper Club.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We all had to learn sometime. I remember well my first fabric project.

9 1/2 gallon tank is probably just in one rib bay. Fabric will be glued to the butt rib and stitched to the next rib. That should keep the rest of the fabric tight. I would cut an "X" in the top between the ribs and spars and peel it back to inspect. Do you know what kind of finish of fabris precess is on your wing?

Post Thanks / Like

Eric,

From a Vagabond owning friend who had a similar issue:

"I spent many days contemplating how to take my wing tank out with the minimum of disturbance and work. Mine is a 13.5 US gallon tank and is therefore not possible to get out without removing the bracing wires. It more or less fills the inner bay.
    The smaller size tank may come out by removing the two bracing wire attachment bolts at one side but I would take out both as it probably won't be very difficult to do. The brackets holding the tank around the spar also have to be disconnected.
    I don't see any reason why you need to take the fabric off both top and bottom. I took the top off both times I removed mine. You can then get to everything from standing on steps. No point in taking the bottom off unless it is severely petrol stained.
    Only the one bay need be removed and initially only the fabric immediately above the tank. This is because it can be trimmed back to a suitable position so that there is fabric on which to attach the new piece when it is eventually put on. The new piece of fabric will have to overlap the old and the outboard rib and a wide piece of pinked edge tape used to cover the joins in fabric."

Hope this helps.
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

It's was rebuilt and refinished 2 years ago with Stewart Systems system. Waterborne polyurethane. I did send pictures to Jason at Stewart Systems and he replied with a description of a repair process for the paint system.