Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tri-pacer pattern speeds

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tri-pacer pattern speeds

New Tri-pacer owner here, what speeds are you guy's & gal's flying the pattern, flaps, speed across the fence ect. How about best glide speed. Just starting my lessons after a 10 year lag. Bought a 1954 PA-22, 150hp. CFI has no time in a tri-pacer so trying to get ahead of the curve. any tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tri-pacer pattern speeds

I would suggest using the speeds in the Operators Manual - you can slow it down when you are light and get more experience with the Plane -always use the trim - makes a big diference in how the plane handles and flares out.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan
    Pacer 24C is right- use the speeds in the operators manual.
    I've deviated a little...
    I am by no means an expert and hopefully my fellow Tri-Pacer owners will chime in-to add to this....either to confirm, add or set me straight....
    so my 2 cents:
    I set the RPM to 1500 and trim it out to 75 MPH indicated with 2 notches of flap on most approaches.you can put one notch of flap above 80mph but you need to be at 80 or below to add more. I find that on downwind if I pull the power back to 1500 and trim for 80( about 3 1/2 turns of the trim) and then add the second notch it settles to 75 mph and I fly it to the "Fence" in that configuration. You and CFI will be surprised at the sink rate of these wonderful planes-It's not a C----A 172!! It is not uncommon for me to be turning final at 800 AGL and hit the numbers in a "Normal" circuit( depending on the usual factors-A/c weight, wind, density altitude etc).

2 things I do know for a fact: do not take off with full flaps(just ask my wife about that one.....) and strong Xwinds and flaps do not mix well

Like I said earlier-I'm no expert- there are people out there with a whole lot more experiernce than me....

Have fun learning to fly your 54 Tri-Pacer- I have one too- serial # 2258: I'm still learning......

Shane

Post Thanks / Like

Get VG's! Great improvement in flying qualities.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mine is 8045-C ser # 2231. It was my father inlaws for 20 years and then my brother inlaws for 6 years so I was glad I could keep it in the family. Sure is alot more stable then the 150's and champ 7-AC I was flying. I will try what you said.

Post Thanks / Like

Dan,
    There is a whole *lot* of wisdom in what these guys are saying. The one thing paramount to remember, is the seemingly phenomenal sink rate our stubby little beasts can develop. There is nothing more eye opening than experiencing that sinking feeling (pun intended) when attempting to flare and there is not enough energy left to arrest the descent. My first landing in a colt was akin to a carrier landing. Even a late burst of power didn't help much. Since I like doing my approaches power off, my approach path is a little steeper than most and my speed ( remember this is with full flaps, my 210 lbs and my dainty little wife and 3/4 tanks ) about 80mph. Seems to work for me. I have also found out that airspeed indicators can be rather erroneous, too. Mine would tend to read fast. So for me, it was all about the "feel" of what was happening. Wanna have some fun? Try simulated engine-out approaches. For me, immediately after I am abeam of the numbers on downwind, I keep the pattern tight and turn base and base to final all in one turn. By the time I roll out of the turn I am lined up with the runway, I am almost ready to flare. A a little hairy at first, but the more you do it the more fun you have.

Post Thanks / Like

My son hadn't flown for 18 years and was getting him ready for his BFR in my TRi-Pacer. He had Tommyhawk and Cherokee time only. Flying over farm country about 2,500 agl, him in left seat, , said power back to 1,700, slow to 75, full flaps, point the nose down at that fence row up ahead and maintain 75mph in decent. He was amazed at the decent angle and 2,500ft/min decent. Then had him continue slow flight with full flaps and maintain airspeed and altitude at 75mph. Did the same with one notch of flaps. Got him use to the decent rates at different flap settings. CFI was Cherokee man, never been in a Tripacer. Said this plane is a sinking rock at low RPM. Gave him a similar check out and told him, keep some power at 90mph, fly longer final, flap decision on final, across the numbers at 70. As he and the son got use to the sink rate at 80 with and without flaps they shorten up the finals and could hit the numbers. Cautioned them , don't get behind the power curve on final flare, keep some power, fly by the seat of you pants and feel the sink rate or you will drop it in. He passed the BFR and it was my time to turn him loose in my plane. Did 2 touch and goes, good job, said let me out, it is going to climb faster, fly faster, glider longer, settle slower, beware. He has about 10 hours in it now and makes some very nice landings. We have very little activity at our airport and I do a lot of straight in approaches at 300 to 500ft agl. rarely use full flaps and about 1,500rpm across the numbers. When at 600lb load and hot, maybe 1,700rpm on final.

Bob 52 Tripacer with 135hp

Post Thanks / Like

I'm lazy. I slow to 80 down wind, put in 2 notches of flap, Crank enough trim to keep it at 80 and fly that way till I turn final. I can't say what speed I am over the fence since I'm no longer looking at the ASI. If I'm high I'll make a slipping turn to final, if low I add a bit of power.

I took a BFR in a friends PA-28 a few years ago. When he pulled the power for a forced landing I looked for a field underneath us. My friend asked why I didn't try for the airfield 5 miles away. PA22 habit I answered.

Paul
    Salome, AZ

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guy's as soon as this fog lifts in the valley I will try your advice. Talked more with my brother inlaw and he will go with me for some pattern work that will help a bunch. And I was kinda suprised how fast Charlie sank below 70 mph

Post Thanks / Like

Cruise power till midfield, then back to about 1800-2000, slow to flap speed and dump them in turning base, final about 75-80 MPH 1500 RPM, touch down with a touch of power for a nice smooth landing.