Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Increase oil temp on a o290?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Increase oil temp on a o290?

I put a better oil temp gauge on my Pacer and found out my oil temp barely gets over 140. I prefer over 180. Is there a way to increase the oil temp on the o290D? I did check the oil temp probe in a can of boiling water so it is accurate.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Increase oil temp on a o290?

Do you have the oil cooler blocked off?

Post Thanks / Like

Run with no more than 6 Qts of oil - run full 75% power and lean it properly. (of course block off Oil Cooler if you have one - may require just partial block off)

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention that the oil cooler is blocked off and I keep the oil at 6 or just slightly less????????

Post Thanks / Like

Single weight or multi weight oil? Viscosity valve or vernatherm?

Todd
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 03-06-2013 at 10:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

How do I tell if I have a vernatherm and if I do, how do I adjust it?

Post Thanks / Like

here is a bunch of pictures of a Vernatherm- they are non adjustable. on the top is generally the temp at which the are rated for. do you have an oil filter- if not it is unlikely that you have one.

on the pictures page 2 -first row generally shows you the typical set up

hope this helps

Shane-o

Post Thanks / Like

The accessory case on the 290D does not have intergral oil lines for a oil cooler. There is an adapter with fittings for oil cooler lines. The adapter fits between the case and the oil screen housing and is held in place with the four bolts used for the screen. The cover for the viscosity valve is circled in red in the attached photo. If your 290D oil system has been modified, like adding a modern oil cooler or screw on filter housing, I would guess that it may have also been altered by adding a vernathem?

I would use a probe or thermometer to measure the temperature of the oil in the sump. Pull the dipstick out and go into the sump that way. That should be the hottest oil in your system. I have a probe that attaches to my cheap craftsman multimeter that works great for this. Yes, my multimeter is calibrated and certified by my employer, so it is accurate. Once you have determined the oil temperature is satisfactory in the sump I would look into the position of your temp probe in the system. Of course this is assuming that it has been modified.

My original 290D has a small four plate cooler along with the viscosity valve. I assume that the valves job was not to regulate temperature like a vernatherm but to prevent cold congealed oil from damaging the cooler. That is, the valve is normally closed and only opens to bypass the cooler when the oil is cold and thick. I am also very curious about what would happen if you used a multi weight oil in winter with the viscosity valve in conjunction with a modern oil cooler. My guess is that the valve would always stay closed with multi weight, and always be running through the cooler. In other words the oil may never get up to temperature.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Vagabondblues; 03-10-2013 at 10:18 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for a little thread creep. Can a O-320 accessory case fit on a 290-D2? It seems that the crank case breather through the accessory case would be much less prone to pushing out oil than on the front of the engine case near the cam. Is their any basis for making such a thing legal? I would guess that there would be no problem in an experimental application.

Just curious.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Many D2 engines ended up with O320 cases, I don't know about the paperwork side of it.