Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing inspection panels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wing inspection panels

Folks,

I've got to rebuild/recover my wings. I'm wondering if there is any guidance that is more current than the prints for the number and location of inspection panels. My IA said something about each drag/anti-drag wire end, but also to ask the shortwing brain trust for their input. What say ye (or y'all if you are from down south).

Sorry for the duplication if you are also on the SWPC board.

Thanks,

Jim
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Wing inspection panels

Hi Jim, There are other positions, such as aileron cable turnbuckles , pitot tube hose, a SB (1044) that recommends inspection groments located near the front strut to wing attach point allowing for inspection of corrosion of steel wing strut attach brackets ( I can get a number later), ect. I would think a complete list will come along here, but I do have a sketch with approx. measurements that I used. I will be happy to share if you need. email moe2goe@aol.com if you want it. Moe.
    Last edited by moe2goe; 06-08-2013 at 04:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sometimes I think we should cover the undersides of the wings with clear Monokote... but then we would be distracted by all the pulleys and bellcranks and such while flying, so maybe not such a good idea.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Moe
    do you have a number for that service letter- or better yet a copy
    thanks Shane

Quote Originally Posted by moe2goe View Post
    Hi Jim, There are other positions, such as aileron cable turnbuckles , pitot tube hose, a SL that recommends inspection groments located near the front strut to wing attach point allowing for inspection of corrosion of steel wing strut attach brackets ( I can get a number later), ect. I would think a complete list will come along here, but I do have a sketch with approx. measurements that I used. I will be happy to share if you need. email moe2goe@aol.com if you want it. Moe.

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend just putting the rings in where you think that you need them and not cut them out. Down the road when you need the access just cut them out and put the panel on, looks cleaner.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Shane, I think it is SB 1044 , but couldn't find a copy to verify. Mine are at the hanger. If I find out later it's different, I'll make correction here. Moe (My bad - it was a Service Bulletin #1044) http://home.earthlink.net/~andy2220/...b-1044-2-3.htm
    Last edited by moe2goe; 06-08-2013 at 04:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moe2goe View Post
    Hi Shane, I think it is SL 1044 , but couldn't find a copy to verify. Mine are at the hanger. If I find out later it's different, I'll make correction here. Moe
    I looked at the current listing on Piper.com and they don't show a 1044, but that doesn't mean anything.

Along these lines, what is the value of the book from Univair that is SBs, SLs, etc? It is $56

Jim
    Lifetime EAA member

Post Thanks / Like

My Bad - SB 1044 / here is the link for page 2/3 that I got from a search here. http://home.earthlink.net/~andy2220/...b-1044-2-3.htm Sorry, Moe

Post Thanks / Like

If I were doing one, I would consider a larger square/rectangle inspection hole and plate inboard where you have to get at the turnbuckles and flap pulleys
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    If I were doing one, I would consider a larger square/rectangle inspection hole and plate inboard where you have to get at the turnbuckles and flap pulleys
    Mine has two rectangular panels for the flap and aileron turnbuckles aft of the tank. I will definitely keep those! Just disconnecting them showed me that you need even more room than those provide but I know we have limits on them.

Moe, no worries. Thanks for the info, I look forward to getting a seeing your inspection panel layout.

Jim
    Lifetime EAA member