Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PA17 Vagabond Rate of Climb

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: PA17 Vagabond Rate of Climb

I forgot to ask the seller what the empty weight was on his. I found out after about 10 min on the phone with him his mechanical knowledge is very limited.

Post Thanks / Like

They must have used lots of Helium when they weighed the Vagabonds at the factory! I was looking through my files and found Piper Service Memo No. 49 (attached) which gives the general specification for the PA-15 and PA-17. How they got the PA-17 to 650 lb empty weight I don't know.
    My PA-17 now weighs 735 lb empty (after a few weight reduction changes) and I can probably account for, say, 20 lb for radio, transponder, battery and extra instruments, but can't see what I would have to remove to lose another 65 lb!
    Tony N
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I just rolled my PA-17 onto the scales. 730#, was going for lighter than that but I made quite a few additions that didn't help the weight. Just paperwork left ,put the cowling back on and it's ready to fly!

Will

Post Thanks / Like

congratulations, wish mine was that light, its about 750, but previous owner added some stuff that is pretty hard to change at this point
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Andya, do you have an electrical system in yours? My doors are 12# each so I thought I might build new ones and try to shed a few pounds and go with full length plexi. My seats are a little heavy but not sure what else I would want to leave out if I were to do it again.

Will

Post Thanks / Like

no electric sys in mine, has a C-85-8. It was restored back in about 04 by Stewarts up in Cashmere. It has two stoddard wing tanks (done in alaska back in mid '50's) the univair cleveland brake STC which I would guess added some weight, two doors with fold out windows. I think the wheel and brakes, two doors and wing tanks (in addition to the nose tank) added them most weight. it had a small 4 ah battery for intercom and handheld but I've removed that, save 5 #. It had air hawk tires, replaced with the air trac, that got me another 2 #
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

MtVagabond,
    730 lb is a good weight. What do you have installed for that weight?
    Mine is 5 lb heavier but I have different shock struts (slightly heavier French oleo-pneumatic), radio, transponder, lightweight 4.5AH battery, and AH.
    However, standard A65, original tyres and brakes, Scott 3200 tailwheel and single fuselage tank.
    TonyN

Post Thanks / Like

MTVagabond,
    You should be happy with that weight.
    One door, two wing tanks, C85-12, and wood
    Prop, mine goes 725 with 8:00x4's, 750 with 25's.
    Mine weighed 800+ when I got it, ugh!
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to hear I'm in the ball park then. Tony here is the list: skylight, rear window frames welded in, two doors, C-85-12, shoulder harnesses, leather seats with lumbar support and stitched with yellow to match paint (went overboard here 13#), 5ply Russian birch floorboards and baggage shelf, no electrics, minimum inst plus CHT, left 18 gallon wing tank with 2.5 gallon header, Stewarts fabric and paint, used .032 AL for boot and engine cowl (should have gone lighter maybe), grove brakes, univair struts. That's all I can think of that would effect weight.

Will

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Dave 800+ down to 725, I think you may have a future as a personal trainer.