Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 0290 in a colt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 0290 in a colt

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton Harper View Post
    You might be suffering from the Dunning-Kruger Effect.
    Does narcissism come with an IA or were you going for extra credit?

But sorry to disappoint, no Dunning-Kruger effect. But I do have an intolerance of A&P's who like to spend other people's money on their own nostalgia. Hey, you must know of someone that you can talk into converting something to a IO-346. I've got one sitting on the shelf. Zero time since OH a few years ago. Only a few critical parts NLA, but that shouldn't matter, right?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 0-290D2 135 in my 53 22/20 - airplane is light 1058 empty - running a 53" pitch - gets off and out climbs the average 0-320 planes - cruises right with them on approx. 1 gph less - I will run the 135 as long as I can- Have owned a 150 hp Pacer and converted and flown another - I like my 135 - actually better!

Post Thanks / Like

tyndall,
    We don't know much about you. Why don't you fill in some of the "About Me", and why don't you become a member. I was impressed that you could "diagnose" without ever meeting or talking to me, "narcissism". Are IA's more prone to that condition than other? Are you in the "healing arts"?
    Can you help us, what is an IO-346, and how did a smart guy like you get talked into one of those?
    Last edited by Clayton Harper; 04-05-2013 at 06:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tyndall View Post
    Is there a reason why you'd want to convert to an obsolete engine with very limited parts availability?
    well when you have a low time 0290 sitting on the floor and your neighbour has a run out 0 235. ... You put it in. Just want to know if any one knows where to get the rear mounted oil cooler for 0290. Dont want to change colt cowl.

Post Thanks / Like

O-290 D2 rings are in a somewhat limited supply.

There was a discussion on supercub.org on these rings.

Note that some ECI rings come from Lycoming.

They seem disinterested in upping the stock level.

Not a big concern; yet.

Post Thanks / Like

C'mon guys - enough of the barbs!

This is a fun/information site. If you can't play nicely, take your bat and ball and go home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joseair View Post
    well when you have a low time 0290 sitting on the floor and your neighbour has a run out 0 235. ... You put it in. Just want to know if any one knows where to get the rear mounted oil cooler for 0290. Dont want to change colt cowl.
    Stewarts have an STC for installing the oil cooler on the rear baffle on a Short Wing.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the Stewart STC on my O-235 Colt. Same baffles as an O-290, if I'm not mistaken.
    Dropped 100+ degree OAT summertime oil temps from 230 to an easy 190. I highly recommend it, seems to pull about 40 degrees F from what it ran pre-cooler.
    Kurt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 61 Colt with 0235 engine. At annual last week, had a bad cam (lobe worn off, making metal in filter). Thinking about a switch of the 0235 for an 0290D (not 290D2).
    Can' afford to go with an 0320 on this 18K plane at my age and what flying I have left.
    Questions:
    1. Can use 0235-C1B engine mount with 0290D?
    2. Different exhaust system?
    3. Do I absolutely need oil cooler? I have not had temp problems where I live in Georgia Mountains.
    4. Auto Fuel OK? 90 octane ethanol free
    5. Any major problems with the switch?

Post Thanks / Like

Engine mount and exhaust are all the same. Auto fuel STC for the O -235 is available from the EAA or Peterson AVaition.
    O-235 Clippers did not have an oil cooler except for the Sea Plane version. Don't know about the O -235 Colt.
    Last edited by Gilbert Pierce; 10-12-2014 at 05:12 PM.