Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wing tank sump drains that don't leak?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wing tank sump drains that don't leak?

My wing tank drains seep a tiny bit, just enough to make a fuel streak and I have replaced them twice now with Curtis drain valves. Very frustrating and a major pain to replace! Is there a different valve that seals properly?

Post Thanks / Like

Somtimes this is caused by fuel leaking by damaged threads in the aluminum bung welded into the tank. When that happens I use Aviation Permatex #2 on the threads making sure not to get it on the "O" ring or seat. If there is trash in the fuel tank it will get caught on the "O" ring and cause a seep. When you remove the valve look closely at the "O" and seat looking for trash.

Post Thanks / Like

Gilbert is right on with his reply. Two things I can add. First, defuel the plane completely. Rig up a shop vac with about 3/4 diameter pex tubing about 36 inches long. After the tanks have aired out a bit. Vacuum out the tanks. You will be amazed at what you get. My TriPacer had fabric strips, RTV globules , and all sorts of crud in it. My Colt had lots of sealer, RTV type globules in it. Both of these will get under an oring on the drain valve and cause a seep. Second, and this is opinion only, I like the Saf-Air valves over the Curtis valves. The Saf-Air uses a standard MS type o ring seal, readily available. The Curtis uses a proprietary seal that is not.

Bill Meredith
    Kingsland, TX
    N7749D
    N4844Z

Post Thanks / Like

My wing tank drain has started leaking also. Can someone remind me what the part number is for the correct drain valve.

Thanks

Dean Dayton
    N2519P PA22-20

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

MODEL CAV-160 1/4" NPT For Piper models J-3, J-4, PA-11, -12, -14, -25, -16, -17, -18, -20, -22, -23, and -15 Tri-Pacer; Apache; Champion; Aeronca; Cessna T-50 and earlier 120 and 140 models; and Beechcraft AT-11 and C-18S.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ges/safair.php

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Default Leaky fuel drain valve

My left wing tank has a leaky fuel drain valve. It is a drip once every 5 to 10 seconds. Is this a difficult fix?
    I suppose draining the tank is part of the fix and then does the valve just screw out?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Leaky fuel drain valve

afterdraining tank,valve removes, if a curtis type, need to buy replacement, not sure on other brands
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

So it just screws out?
    I found this slide show on line so it looks pretty simple. Mine is the second style that has the bar across it.
    http://www.slideshare.net/jonespub/h...ing-fuel-drain

Thank you.
    Last edited by Theo; 04-11-2013 at 07:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

There are replacement parts available for Curtis drains.