Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cracked firewall tube, below cluster

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cracked firewall tube, below cluster

Got a big problem we found at annual yesterday. The IA discovered a cracked tube on the left diagonal tube on the cockpit side of the firewall, about 1.5"
    below the cluster at the top of the panel. Has anyone encountered this before? Any suggestions on the fix?

Many thanks,
    Holliday Obrecht

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Cracked firewall tube, below cluster

I would repair it like Figure 4-35 in the AC43.13-1B with a sleeve over the tube.

http://www2.tech.purdue.edu/at/cours...3-1B/CH4_5.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I would repair it like Figure 4-35 in the AC43.13-1B with a sleeve over the tube.

http://www2.tech.purdue.edu/at/cours...3-1B/CH4_5.pdf
    Thanks, Steve. It looks like the real issue is going to be access. The firewall is stainless steel. If the portion of the firewall that lies just in front of the cluster could be removed, that would give ready access the damaged tube for welding. Do you know if we can legally patch the firewall after the weld repair is completed? If we can, then access to the repair site will not be a big deal. If we have to remove the engine and firewall to get to the cluster, THAT will be a big deal. Please let me know what you think about opening up a section on the firewall and repairing it later. Might not look pretty, but would get the job done.

Many thanks for your (usual) very good help.
    Holliday

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I see no issue at all pat bing the firewall. I have done it on spam can firewalls where the firewall is structural. Just use a good overlap. Steel or stainless steel rivet would be good. I have some old firewalls I can cut a patch out of if you need to mat h the beads.