Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: N7743D is a project :-(

Post Thanks / Like

Default N7743D is a project :-(

So after successfully battling virtual engine failures and other various virtual issues I finished recurrent training at work. I had made an appointment to drop 43D off at a painter who works with Stewart Systems to finish painting the sheet metal and fix some of my boo boos.

So, I removed the strut fairings to make it easier for him to pull them and off I went.

Flew past Mark Twain lake on a beautiful late fall day. Yes, I'm an airline guy so I was all the way up at FL045 talking to KC Center.

After just over two hours she was safely tucked in the hangar in Iowa with a T-Craft and an RV-6.

Since we are getting into Peak at work I won't be able to fly much until January anyway, good time to get the work done.
    Last edited by Jim Hann; 11-12-2016 at 05:29 PM.
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: N7743D is a project :-(

The day I picked her up from the painter back in November...

(This was also a test to see how to make a picture big(ger) on the laptop!
    1957 PA-22/20 "Super Pacer" based 1H0
    Lifetime EAA member
    Vintage Aircraft Association member
    Lifetime EAA Chapter 32 member

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Jim, You need to slice the fabric between the two fittings to allow the strut to fit. Also, I make the dollie about an 1" larger than the grommet so that the pinks don't stick up.
    Attachment 6284
    Not sliced yet in this picture.
    Hi Steve,
    I know I am replying to an old post and not sure if this sort of thing works but it is a good place for me to ask a dumb question. Since the strut pushes the grommet finger up into the wing (boy question gets dumber as I type, ha) ..The dollie patch will also need to be sliced in the center correct?
    I have finished one of my wings and working on my 2nd, did not cut the fabric on the first. grrr.
    Thanks,
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yes, more than likely. Stick the strut is there and line up the bolt hole and in most cases it will require the fabric between the two strut attach fittings to be slit.