Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Found a crack in tail post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Found a crack in tail post

Guess when you think about it, it makes sense, in the Tri-Pacer configuration, that area would not get any stress compared to when the tail wheel / spring is attached during the 22 - 20 conversion. Now, you have the tailwheel & spring causing lots of stress to the local area, and if that hole wasn't "fixed" like Brian stated above, you have a great spot for a crack to start!! Bummer, now I'm going to get dirty, looking at my tail post etc!! Surly they did it right (the conversion) 35 years ago!!?? Ha Ha

John
    Utah Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Brian fixed mine like he stated in his earlier post. At least you found it before you swung the tail around in big rock and twisted the entire tail up

Post Thanks / Like

So I'm a little confused -what else is new. During the conversion process, is it required to eliminate this hole & sleeve the tube or is that just an improvement that you do yourself?

In an unrelated problem, the spring mount weld broke loose and I had to have it repaired. Basically, it wasn't mounted correctly in the first place. As I took some pictures when this part was exposed, I see that mine has the original hole/tube but thankfully, no crack. Just wondering if this is an error during the conversion or just something to watch going forward.
    SDC10748.JPG
    “Seek advice but use your own common sense.”
    ― Yiddish Proverb

Post Thanks / Like

For What it's worth, "If your Conversion was via STC SA45RM (Univair / LPC)" then it was required by Drawing LPC-1024, note #8. The note says "Center P/N 1024-1 over existing hole and weld around edges". P/N 1024-1 is listed as"disk, .065 X 7/8" round, 4230A pewr Mil S 18729. I can scan parts of the drawing if interested.

John
    Utah Pacer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by smcnutt View Post
    So I'm a little confused -what else is new. During the conversion process, is it required to eliminate this hole & sleeve the tube or is that just an improvement that you do yourself?

In an unrelated problem, the spring mount weld broke loose and I had to have it repaired. Basically, it wasn't mounted correctly in the first place. As I took some pictures when this part was exposed, I see that mine has the original hole/tube but thankfully, no crack. Just wondering if this is an error during the conversion or just something to watch going forward.
    SDC10748.JPG
    Its an improvement that is done myself after years of finding cracked ones done according to the instructions..... Univairs sleeve is too short IMO... I consider it a minor alteration to the original airframe.

Brian.
    Last edited by stevesaircraft(Bri); 08-06-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperPacer View Post
    For What it's worth, "If your Conversion was via STC SA45RM (Univair / LPC)" then it was required by Drawing LPC-1024, note #8. The note says "Center P/N 1024-1 over existing hole and weld around edges". P/N 1024-1 is listed as"disk, .065 X 7/8" round, 4230A pewr Mil S 18729. I can scan parts of the drawing if interested.

John
    Utah Pacer
    would love to see anything you could post or email
    andy

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don, Do you have pictures of the repair? I just got a message on another one with a similar problem.
    10804364_901707569846967_433454173_o.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,
    Here are a couple of photos.
    You spliced in a new section of tail post, spliced the longeron and put on a new spring mount.
    You guys do nice work!!

Thanks

Don
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Once you are done with the repair if you keep fabric off that part of the tail it will be easy to inspect for the next time it cracks.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

They repaired the last one I posted.
    10846114_922207897796934_7896648304015135299_n.jpg

and had a call and email about another one.
    P1040346.jpg

P1040347.jpg

Looks like we need to sleeve these things deeper prior to installing the tail spring pad.