Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best Piper Colt modifications

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Best Piper Colt modifications

Post pictures when you get the bird.

Toys to get:

GPS..
    Shoulder harness (hopefully, they are already in)
    After you have got some hours in it, start saving for VG's
    Engine stuff like alternator, light weight starter, oil cooler at rear of cylinders...etc. Are great but, cost a bit...fly it!
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

Why is the oil cooler at the rear of the cylinders more desirable?

Post Thanks / Like

If it has an 0-235 C1B, then it doesn't have an oil cooler. Doesn't need one.

Here are some mods I would do: Casper Labs spin-on oil filter adapter, Steve's aircraft brake booster, Odysey battery and circuit breaker master switch.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cwo4ret View Post
    Attachment 5281Attachment 5282Attachment 5283Attachment 5284Attachment 5285Attachment 5286Attachment 5287Attachment 5288Attachment 5289Attachment 5287SS

These are a few things I did to my Colt.

I added Retractable Snap Vents above the original vents. One, it gives you more air when it's hot, and two, I can turn them around to suck out smoke if I have an electrical fire.

The bracket that is on the pilot's side air vent will allow you to adjust to any size opening. Also, some vents have worn and will not stay closed. Solves the problem of opening in flight all of a sudden. Bracket comes from Frank Sperandeo Fayetteville, Ark.

I built the adjustable sun visors out of tinted Plexiglas R A M handheld component parts. Clamps on, comes off in seconds, and move the two visors any where needed.

Tom Anderson, SWPC Tech, has an LED light kit that replaces the two cockpit lights. World of difference at night.
    Please explain those sun visors again, what is the knob thats is attached to the visor itself? What model of RAM mount did you buy and what size sun-visor? What was total cost for both sun visor installations? Thanks much..........

Post Thanks / Like

sunvisor 002.jpgsunvisor 003.jpgsunvisor 004.jpgsunvisor 008.jpgsunvisor 009.jpgsunvisor 010.jpgsunvisor 011.jpgsunvisor 012.jpgsunvisor 014.jpgsunvisor 016.jpgsunvisor 017.jpgsunvisor 020.jpg

I used the old RAM mounts that held my GPS to my Yoke when I put my GPS in the panel. You can get the mount parts from Sportys pilot shop or other places. The smoked plexiglass I got from a local hardware store and used my jig saw to cut the sizes that I wanted. I mounted the U bolt ball to the top left windshield bar and Yoke mount ball to the left top windshield bar. You can use the U bolt on the right side, but the Yoke mount ball faces the wrong way on the left side. Again, I was using spare parts that I had.
    http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/16771
    http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/14226

I had a long arm. http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/16724
    and a standard arm. http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/14227

Where the ball goes into the arm, I took my grinding tool and ground out the metal so that the ball could move left and right and up and down. Did that to both ends of each arm so that the ball could swivel 90 degrees in 4 directions on both ends.

Cut the Plexiglas to the size I liked then mounted 2 diamond base balls to the glass. http://www.sportys.com/PilotShop/product/19345
    I put two on each glass to give me more options to move the Plexiglas where the sun might be. One ball works fine on the Plexiglas. Decide where you want to install the ball on the Plexiglas so that when both visors are stored, they look good to you.

Your done. Just loosen the center thumb screw on the arms and move the Plexiglas where ever you need it. Pilot and Copilot have independent control over their visor.

Loosen the center thumb screw a little more and pop the visor and arm off the mounting ball and take the whole thing out of the aircraft for annuals or what ever.

Post Thanks / Like

Got to fly her last night.

Sent from my SPH-M840 using Tapatalk 4
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Neat paint scheme.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like it has a quick drain for the oil sump. Those are really handy.

Gene

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know of a CFI near to Detroit with Colt time?

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TexasTailwheel View Post
    Does anyone know of a CFI near to Detroit with Colt time?

Ryan
    Or between Detroit and Tennessee and Austin, TX?
    If so, please call me at 210-902-0372.

Ryan

Ryan