Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Superflight "System 7"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Superflight "System 7"

Latest... Using aluminum panels for the interior wing panel. Machined a couple .063" 4130 washers for the aileron pulley fabric former. Two 2024T3 oh five oh. 3/8 angle from same and a few nut plates to attach the panel.
    Now can instal the right side fabric.

Post Thanks / Like

Is that hole along the upper door frame where you hang the plumb-bob for rigging? I never quite understood where to attach the bob. I've added an arrow to your photo so you can see the hole I'm inquiring about.

Rigging.jpg

Thanks for your comments.

Todd
    Todd Loes -- Waterloo, IA
    (PA22-150 N3568Z)

Post Thanks / Like

Nope..that's for the front seaplane door hinge. You bring up something I didn't think about...where is the plumb bob mark on the upper door frame supposed to be? If I remember correctly we couldn't find a mark before the modification to the doors and had a tough time finding level to rig the wings...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

From "Service Memo No. 20, PA-20 Leveling and Rigging Procedure":

"To level the airplane laterally and longitudinally, drop a plumb bob on a string from the hole located on the side of the upper door frame member approximately 5-3/4 inches aft of the front door frame member, to the center punch mark located on the seat front cross tube just inside the door. Adjust the jacks or blocks until the plumb bob centers over the mark ."

(Earlier in the memo it describes the jacks under the axles and tail).

Todd
    (PA22-150 N3568Z)

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...we couldn't find that hole.. Is there a drawing that shows the detail/dimensions for a level line fore to aft? If there is...I can use the rotisserie adjustments to make the fuselage level using a rotating laser level. Then hang the plumb bob over the punch mark....then make a new upper hole to hang the plumb bob.
    Mark.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve made a really good thread on this:

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...hlight=rigging

And put pictures in a Picasa folder:

http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...hlight=rigging

But I don't see a good photo of where the bob is hung. Maybe that photo got "corrupted".

I did mine "alternatively" because I couldn't find the hole. I used a level "on top of blocks" at the wing attach fittings (left wing to right wing, main spar) and got it level left-to-right then put a level on the firewall for "fore-aft". I was happy with the left-right but was never really confident that the firewall was a proper "fore-aft" datum.
    (PA22-150 N3568Z)

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry. Wrong Picasa link. Try this one. http://picasaweb.google.com/11471888...80778666230818
    (PA22-150 N3568Z)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Superflight "System 7"

Found the drawing for center line fore to aft...12510. Center line is 28" down from the front wing spar bolt hole center line. At the tail post, one inch above the centerline intersection of the lower longeron and the tail post. Do able with the laser. Will need to do it before covering the left side...
    .....editing.... After thought......Doable when complete. Set up the rotating laser to shoot through the doors./or door and window. Measure up from the beam to the front wing spar bolts. That'll level side to side. Then measure down from the beam at the tail post. Once fine adjustments have been made...and the distance above and below the laser line equals 28". Ready to rig...

Last edited by mmoyle; 01-30-2015 at 11:40 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting there....finished most of the left side today....fitting the fabric around the left rear door.....discovered I'd wrapped the fabric for the interior panel...on the wrong side....bout 10 minutes to fix that boo boo. Top piece tomorrow....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looking good Mark.