Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lift Strut AD 99-05-01 Revised

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Sealed Strut questions

I can't imagine that anyone has been selling non sealed struts....for years....they are worthless. I assume most people throw non sealed struts away (as soon as possible). Give Univair a call.
    Last edited by Stephen; 01-04-2014 at 12:36 AM.
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

FAA/PMA is usually stamped at the wing attach end along with UA for Univair Aircraft.
    2014-01-04-08-24-48.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 01-04-2014 at 09:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The only struts made in re ent years are Airframes and Univair. Atlee Dodge reworked struts for Jensen and addedlarge forks but they require a punch test every 5 years.
    2014-01-04-08-43-52.jpg

piperrocks2013

Default Re: AD 99-05-01 Revised

Steve, just to confirm, one can safely say the univair struts are sealed and the AD is no longer effected at least the struts seal has been broken by drilling a hole etc etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Correct. If you have any questions at all I would call them. They are very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Just like to have a full understanding that "if a strut has been unsealed , that properly resealing will cancel this AD".

(g) Compliance

Unless already done (compliance with AD 99-01-05, Amendment 39-10972 (63 FR 72132, December 31, 199), do the following actions within the compliance times specified in paragraphs (h) through (n) of this AD, including all subparagraphs. Properly unsealing and resealing a sealed wing lift strut is still considered a terminating action for the repetitive inspection requirements of this AD as long as all appropriate regulations and issues are considered, such as static strength, fatigue, material effects, immediate and long-term (internal and external) corrosion protection, resealing methods, etc. Current FAA regulations in 14 CFR 43.13(b) specify that maintenance performed will result in the part's condition to be at least equal to its original or properly altered condition. Any
    maintenance actions that unseal a sealed wing lift strut should be coordinated with the Atlanta Aircraft Certification Office (ACO) through the local airworthiness authority (e.g., Flight Standards District Office). There are provisions in paragraph (o) of this AD for approving such actions as an alternative method of compliance (AMOC).

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is correct. Who knows what the engineers at the Atlanta ACO will want you to have to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Help Identifying Univair Sealed Struts

I purchased a complete set of used Univair sealed struts. I sanded down the attachment point in order to uncover any part numbers and to verify my purchase. I need some help identifying Univairs logo. The attached photo shows a circle around a U with a 2 in the middle. I'm also a little worried because the rear struts appear not to have any oil in them like the front, All have the U-2 logo with the words FAA PMA. Did Univair oil both front and rear struts? How can I tell if they are Univair sealed struts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need Help Identifying Univair Sealed Struts

Front U85560-002
    Rear U85559-002

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need Help Identifying Univair Sealed Struts

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Front U85560-002
    Rear U85559-002

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the reply. Do you know where they usually stamp the part numbers on the wing struts?