Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lift Strut AD 99-05-01 Revised

Post Thanks / Like

Default Lift Strut AD 99-05-01 Revised

Received this today from the FAA, advising of a revision to Wing Strut AD 99-05-01. It appears to be a clarification issue only.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: AD 99-05-01 Revised

Yes Mark, that looks correct. AD 99-01-05 R1 will now need to be signed off. (Amendment 39-17688 effective Jan. 14, 2014.) I have new sealed struts and forks, so I think the sign off would be - compliance with Paragraphs j(2) and m(2). Does that look right to others? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

(2) This AD clarifies the FAA's intention that if a sealed wing lift strut assembly is installed as a replacement part, the repetitive inspection requirement is terminated only if the seal is never improperly broken. If the seal is improperly broken, then that wing lift strut becomes subject to continued repetitive inspections. We did not intend to promote drilling holes into or otherwise unsealing a sealed strut. This AD retains all the actions required in AD 99-01-05 and this AD does not require any actions over that already required by AD 99-01-05. This AD does not add any additional burden to the owners/operators of the affected airplanes.
    A whole lot of time spent to clarify the above. At least now there is a process in place to get approval to make a sealed strut a sealed strut again in case there is a hole drilled in it. I know people have drilled vent holes where the fork threads in so they can powder coat them without them coming out like a banana and then they weld the hole shut

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    A whole lot of time spent to clarify the above. At least now there is a process in place to get approval to make a sealed strut a sealed strut again in case there is a hole drilled in it. I know people have drilled vent holes where the fork threads in so they can powder coat them without them coming out like a banana and then they weld the hole shut
    Just got this from Transport Canada today as well.

One set of struts appear to have been repaired with some fish mouth welds on the right side of the aircraft on my PA-17. This was done a long time ago, but if done properly, they still count as sealed, correct?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Are they sealed Univair struts/big forks?

Post Thanks / Like

I am new to this... please bear in mind the stupid question....how do you tell if the strut is sealed or not?
    All 4 of my struts were replaced in 2000 and then had another one replace in Nov 2012. My AME just told me that I am grounded until I can prove that i have sealed units....
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Chris...
    Why are you grounded? I see that you are reside in the "Frozen North" so I am not sure what Canadian regs state. From the FAA perspective.....In the event that you do not have the sealed struts, at the very most you would be due for an NDT inspection. There is NO...ZERO....NADA requirement to have the sealed struts.
    To answer your initial question, the immediate sign that you have sealed struts is that the strut forks have 7/16" diameter threaded portions vs 3/8" for the non sealed struts. Also, if you have the P/N's of the struts that were installed, you could reference that from the manufacturers data. Were the struts new or serviceable used parts?
    Lastly......THERE ARE NO "STUPID" QUESTIONS!! These SWP's are relics from a time when published information was scarce. This is a great forum, with very skilled and knowledgeable contributors (I am not in the latter group!). I see this is only your second post. Welcome to the fray, and to joining the small, but well informed group of aviators who realize the value of owning a SWP.
    Last edited by pa20; 12-13-2013 at 02:07 PM.
    Mark Ohlau
    PA-20 N7744K 2023 Donation Paid

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pa20 View Post
    Chris...
    Why are you grounded? I see that you are reside in the "Frozen North" so I am not sure what Canadian regs state. From the FAA perspective.....In the event that you do not have the sealed struts, at the very most you would be due for an NDT inspection. There is NO...ZERO....NADA requirement to have the sealed struts.
    To answer your initial question, the immediate sign that you have sealed struts is that the strut forks have 7/16" diameter threaded portions vs 3/8" for the non sealed struts. Also, if you have the P/N's of the struts that were installed, you could reference that from the manufacturers data. Were the struts new or serviceable used parts?
    Lastly......THERE ARE NO "STUPID" QUESTIONS!! These SWP's are relics from a time when published information was scarce. This is a great forum, with very skilled and knowledgeable contributors (I am not in the latter group!). I see this is only your second post. Welcome to the fray, and to joining the small, but well informed group of aviators who realize the value of owning a SWP.
    Thank you for the info. I am in Canada too, and this is enough for me to start checking.

The previous owner says I have sealed struts (though I know one side has been weld repaired), the previous AME says I have sealed struts, but my AME and I can't really tell. I'll take my calipers to them and settle this. If my suspicions are correct, I hope someone local can do the NDT.

Post Thanks / Like

If they are Univair struts they will have a circle with a U in the center stamped at the top of the strut where it flares into the top attach bolt.
    How was the AD signed off on your previous annual inspections?. There should also be a log book entry terminating the AD's requirements for testing. This should be in your aircraft AD Compliance checklist as well.

Post Thanks / Like

HI Mark. I should clarify "grounded"... My AME has told me that if I can verify that I have sealed struts then we're good to go. If I can not verify then I am grounded until we can get the NDT inspection completed. In our region, that could prove to be difficult. The AME that installed them has told me that "yes, they are the newer sealed struts", but he has yet to provide me with any information to confirm. They were installed as new parts, and all that's in the logs is the date and "new wing struts installed". The previous owner is not with us and the family can't offer any info to help. I am very pleased to a shortwing owner, as I am a fairly newly licensed pilot (only took 25 years to complete) and decided very quickly that ownership was WAY better then renting. Yes, I have to agree, there's all kind of valuable information on this site. I keep watching and reading and today I had to finally jump in and start asking questions... Chris Pryor PA22-150, S/n 7174 (C-GLDW)