Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Slick Magneto Internal Timing Issues

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: more Slick mag problems

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    no issues with Slicks until Champion bought them, almost doubled the price and then changed a bunch of stuff at one time and has yet to figure out which one is causing the problems.
    Which one is causing the problem? CHAMPION!

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if these are Champion spark plugs.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lRV26qJRDg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well I got word that Champion went ahead and started making points like Unison did and the rapid point wear should be solved. Any points made after 9/21/2015 should be good. If you buy new points and they are made prior to that date send them back because you will have the magneto back off in 100 hours because it is hard to start and the E-gap will be off.
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 10-13-2015 at 03:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slick mags have they fixed the issues yet?

What's the outcome? Have the problems been fixed yet with slicks? Have a o320 B2B-160 with slicks left mag starting very hard. Should we pull check egap overhaul or replace with Bendix?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Slick mags have they fixed the issues yet?

They were having problems but I can’t tell you if the current production Slicks are any good. I won’t use them because they require too many expensive tools to do simple maintenance.

Having said that, I would check them. It’s cheaper than buying replacements and it may be something simple like burned out points. Especially if you or a friend has the tools.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 04-15-2018 at 10:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was looking to update my knowledge and stumbled across this article... http://www.aviationconsumer.com/issu...ng_6924-1.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have not had any issues with the new Slick points after replacing several sets. If I do I will try the Kelly Aerospace points. I talked to Joe Logie at Sun & Fun and he says all is good.

The only tool I use regularly on Slick mags is the E- gap gauge and I think it is about $5-10. I have the whole set I bought at a fly market years ago. The lead assembly tool has come in handy a few times as well.
    Last edited by Steve Pierce; 04-16-2018 at 11:48 AM. Reason: wrong manufacturer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I have not had any issues with the new Slick points after replacing several sets. If I do I will try the Hartzell points. I talked to Joe Logie at Sun & Fun and he says all is good.

The only tool I use regularly on Slick mags is the E- gap gauge and I think it is about $5-10. I have the whole set I bought at a fly market years ago. The lead assembly tool has come in handy a few times as well.
    I noticed the e-gap tool is being sold for about $15 now. I think that is about the only place Slick has Bendix beat in that department. The little protractor is around $100 now. It's been a long time since I have had any mag dissembled deeper than changing points but I don't recall needing anything special to completely disassemble and reassemble a Bendix to change bearings or gears. I don't recall if I used the $50 lock or not. I don't use it for installation on the engine but I do pin the Slicks.

I would like to have the tools to replace leads but haven't needed them bad enough to cough up the money for new.
    Last edited by Jeff J; 04-16-2018 at 08:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Slick Magneto Internal Timing Issues

Don't need a protractor on Slicks. I have never changed the bearings in a Slick. they are sealed and I let them do that at overhaul. I like the Bendix mags but have no issue maintaining Slicks over Bendix.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Slick Magneto Internal Timing Issues

I don't know what the deal was with the one we disassembled. It is the only one I encountered problems with on a 500 hour inspection. It needed a bearing and a gear so I don't know if it didn't get overhauled with the engine or if it was a "bargain" replacement for one that had failed. We essentially overhauled the mag and signed it off as an IRAN. It seems pretty rare to have to tear any mag down that far in the field but I like having the option.