Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Slick Magneto Internal Timing Issues

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Slick Magneto Internal Timing Issues

Helped a friend of a friend buy a Super Cub in California recently with a little over 100 hours on the engine with new Slick mags. They got it to Louisiana and were having a hard time starting it. Lots of ideas were floating around but checking the e-gap (internal timing) fixed it. Got a call yesterday from Fairbanks, same issue, same time on new Slick mags except it was when the engine was hot and something was said about temps being 20 below. A call to Joe Logie at Champion revealed that they have a problem. They don't know what is causing it (I have an idea) but the internal timing is advancing prematurely and once the e gap is set no problem. Just a heads up before you start throwing serious money at this problem that an hour and a $5 tool can remedy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Slick Magneto Internal Timing Issues

Normally the E-Gap needs to be reset at about 500 hours or after you bump the timing about 1/4".

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Slick Magneto Internal Timing Issues

Just spoke with Joe Logie who is the Champion Magneto Tech Rep. They do not yet know what the problem is but it has effected a small percentage of magnetos manufactured in the last 4-5 months. They are getting rapid point face wear in the first 25 to 80 hours which results in an internal timing advance which makes the engine hard to start. Resetting the E-gap has proven to stabilize the wear and they are saying they believe they will make it to the 500 hour inspection without another considerable internal timing drift. They will exchange any effected magneto under warranty if so desired. They do not know the cause at this time but have a very good team working on it. I originally thought possible cam wear but that would retard the timing rather than advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default more Slick mag problems

Since 2006, Slick has had quality issues resulting in short-lived Slick mag components. There are multiple Service Bulletins on subjects such as the 250 hour carbon brush inspection, and the point cam inspection. The coils are also known to have intermittent opens in the distributor contact, where the coil will work when cold, but you'll get a no-spark condition when it is hot.

On the last dozen or so Slick mags that I've had open for the 250 and 500 hour inspections, I have found loose distributor tangs on the rotors. They literally fall off the rotor shaft when you disassemble the distributor block and rotor assembly. As they loosen, they may cause arcing between the shaft and the loose tang, which causes engine misfire. The loose tangs show up between 500-700 total time since new on the mags. So this is occurring on parts that have passed the 250 and 500 hour inspections, and on mags that have never been opened to comply with the 250 hour Service Bulletin or 500 recommended inspection.

If you have been chasing seemingly fouled plugs, and you have Slick mags with more than 250 hours on them, here is one more thing to look for.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: more Slick mag problems

Phill do you find Slick mags manufactured back in mid to late 1990's to have as serious wear problems as the newer 2004 and later manufactured mags ? Seems like all the SB's are on the mags built during last 10 years.

Mine are 4300 series manufactured in 96 and have never drifted timing wise, mag drop is in spec, and so far trouble they have been trouble free. Is a 500 hour inspection interval often enough in your opinion for Slicks built during those years, or should they be inspected at 250 hrs like the newer year model SB's dictate ?
    Last edited by Brian; 02-19-2014 at 01:36 AM.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like

1990's vintage Slicks were better for certain. 2004 and up production Slicks are questionable, because they still don't seem to have a handle on what went wrong.
    500 hour inspection are always wise to do, so you can check and set the points, clean the internals, and make sure the gears are wearing normally. In your case, you want to do a 500 hour inspection. But if you replace any parts with current production, you should do the 250 hour inspections currently called out in Slick's service publications.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Advice Phil. That is how I will proceed. I'm doing an annual on this plane now so good time to inspect the mags.
    BTW I downloaded a Slick Maint and Overhaul Manual L-1363F for free. Is that the best reference for a 500 Hr inspection ?
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Brian; 02-19-2014 at 10:00 PM.
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unison made everything in house. Champion has been farming things out with many issues as a result in my opinion. They have had a recent issue with rapid point wear in the first 200 hours. Recently had a friend with an engine with 126hours since major OH and new mags. Hard starting issues that sounded like point wear. Called Joe Lugie at Champion and he told us of the issue. Reset the e-gap and no more problems. At least they are easy to work on.

Post Thanks / Like

So I pulled my series's 4300 mags last weekend and have opened them up to preform the 500 hr inspection as detailed in the Champion L-1363F MM. A question comes up regarding re lubrication of the small diameter oilite bushings in the distributor block and bearing bar that supports the distributer gear. The MM calls for soaking these bushings in a Exxon Terrestic Grade 100 oil -Slick PN R5008, for 2 to 3 hours in a 200F oven. I looked up the properties for this Exxon oil and find it very similar to 50 weight aircraft mineral oil as far as viscosity index, pour point, flash point, etc. So the question for those who have preformed these inspections, is there a known good substitute and easy to acquire oil for this procedure, or should I try to source this specific type?
    Thanks for any feedback!
    Brian
    Monrovia, CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Good question Brian. I would call Joe Logie 904-772-1909. He is the goto guy at Champion on these mags. Let us know what he says.