Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RH Tank Leak

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: RH Tank Leak

Forrest
    Helicoil; 1/8 NPT
    Available at acklands

If you want/ need the tanks cleaned and pressure tested the local rad shop here in red deer did a real nice job for me
    Shane-0

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replys guys....this gives me something to work with. Shane, with the helicoil, I'd be worried about it eventually leaking between the newly cut threads for the helicoil, and the coil itself....kinda like two potential spots to leak now instead of one....what did you do to seal it up?

Post Thanks / Like

It shouldn't leak, per se -- you use helicoils to fix a bunged up sparkplug hole. Tightening the plug will seal up everything. However, I've never seen a pipe thread helicoil -- but on the other hand, I've never looked for one!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Kelliots, I also had a fuel sender gasket leak as explained by tferraro. The leak manifested itself as a stain at the drain area wing underside. I suggest looking at the sender gasket, the stain will be obvious. Univair has the replacement gasket, I don't recall the part number for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Forrest

one should have no problem with the helicoil insert. I've repaired sumps, crankcases etc with them and no leaks. i'll bring you some Fuel Lube to our do Feb 1 if you want.
    some propanganda from Helicoil:http://www.helicoil.com.sg/HeliCoil-...-Inserts.shtml

Shane-o

ps the Fuse on FUWA is all one colour now( silver)

sc

Post Thanks / Like

Where is that fuel sender gasket located at? Will I need to pull the tank to find it and replace? How about just checking it? I've noticed the leak stops after the tank is down to about 1/2 full, so that does sound like some sort of gasket or fitting leak on the side of the tank. Thanks for any additional info..........kelliots '61 Colt 1458 TT.....

Post Thanks / Like

Just go to the wing root/inboard side of the tank and look for the stain. Almost certain you have found your problem with the leak ceasing at 1/2 volume or less. Same symptoms as I had. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

My quick drain threads seep at 3/4 to full fuel in one tank. I too thought it was gasket. Took the fuel tank cover off and there was no stain around the gasket or sender. That confirmed it was the threads. Time for NPT Helicoil repair.

Post Thanks / Like

Take the top wing root faring loose or off, and look at the top inboard side of the tank. I am betting you'll see blue stains around the fuel sender unit.
    Tom Ferraro
    PA22/20-160 N25TJ

Post Thanks / Like

Thnaks for the advice, sounds like I need to buy that fuel sender gasket from Univair. kelliots '61 Colt