Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vagabond A-65 or A-75 Baffles?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vagabond A-65 or A-75 Baffles?

Hi guys,

My baffles are getting very tired, and I don't really want to re-install the old worn out baffles between my freshly overhauled cylinders. Does anyone have a source for something that I can make fit?

I've contemplated making my own, but I have a lot of work to do with my AME to get C-GFMW airworthy again, so if there is something I can order while we push forward then that would be ideal.

Thank you,

Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Vagabond A-65 or A-75 Baffles?

Unless University has them I think your only option is to use your old ones for templates and make new ones.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Unless University has them I think your only option is to use your old ones for templates and make new ones.
    Did you get autocorrected from Univair? LOL.

Thanks Steve. They have some similar stuff... I think my drawings may be for the Lycoming powered PA-15 though... I'll keep digging.

If I have to make new ones, so be it.

Cheers,

Joel

Post Thanks / Like

I am really struggling with this. The drawings on the SWPC Vagabond CD are nothing like what was installed in my PA-17 before I removed the engine for the top overhaul.

I am starting to think maybe I had a lack of baffling, which is why they cracked in the first place.

Can anyone take some pictures of their baffling and post them for me please? I need some help!

Thank you,

Joel

Post Thanks / Like

Joel,

My engine is being top overhauled so all my baffles are off. I can take pics of mine in that state if that helps. Will be Monday before I can post the pics.

TonyN

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I looked at the baffle drawings on the Vagabond CD and they appear to be for the 65 hp Lycoming pictured here. Can other members please take and post pictures of their baffles so we can compare. I know a lot of these airplanes have been converted and modified over the years and it would be good to get a consensus on what is correct since we don't have the correct drawings.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tnowak View Post
    Joel,

My engine is being top overhauled so all my baffles are off. I can take pics of mine in that state if that helps. Will be Monday before I can post the pics.

TonyN
    Hi Tony,

I'm currently looking at mine in the same state, as mine is getting topped too. Any pics would be great, especially since we have the same cranckase and cylinders!

I will post mine later today too, as they sit on my workbench.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    I looked at the baffle drawings on the Vagabond CD and they appear to be for the 65 hp Lycoming pictured here. Can other members please take and post pictures of their baffles so we can compare. I know a lot of these airplanes have been converted and modified over the years and it would be good to get a consensus on what is correct since we don't have the correct drawings.
    Thank you Steve! That would be very helpful. I can only see upkeep issues like this getting more difficult as we get further from 1948. I have digitized the trim tab for mine too, and will likely put together a full Solidworks model of the PA-17 as I go along.

The baffle drawings make a lot more sense now, in regards to the picture. In this case, your picture is worth more than a thousand words, and I didn't see it in my many google searches (probably because I was more focused on Continentals). I have downloaded and saved some of the pictures I found that seemed similar to mine, I will share those here as well.

One major difference, my baffle install did not have and inner section between the fins and crankcase, but this seems to be quite common. Is this something I should have had and maybe why my cylinders cracked?

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You definitely want the inner cylinder baffles. They force the air down between the fins of the cylinders. I would think they would be more like the PA11 or 90 hp Super Cub.
    This is a 90 hp Super Cub.
    DSCF1652.jpg
    DSCF1655.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Safe to say I was missing a lot of baffling? We are referring to the baffles along and up against the crankcase right? This is how I got the plane in mid-2012.

So basically I want to achieve what you posted for the Lycoming, but on my Continental 65?

Thanks for the pics!