Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vagabond A-65 or A-75 Baffles?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vagabond A-65 or A-75 Baffles?

Joel,

Here are the pics of my baffles. I forgot to bring the small, horizontal, front, port baffle with me but can photograph that later.
    The vertical baffles are split and have 180 deg bends so they kind of locked together, but fatigue has broken off one of the tabs.
    I will be replacing the seal material with new stuff.

Let me know if you need any other info.
    TonyN
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tnowak View Post
    Joel,

Here are the pics of my baffles. I forgot to bring the small, horizontal, front, port baffle with me but can photograph that later.
    The vertical baffles are split and have 180 deg bends so they kind of locked together, but fatigue has broken off one of the tabs.
    I will be replacing the seal material with new stuff.

Let me know if you need any other info.
    TonyN
    Thanks Tony! Awesome pics.

After a lot of thinking and googling, I think I will re-make what I have. It is going to take more time to get flying than I wanted, but I know I can do a good job of it.

Mine are like Dave's shown here, with a full back baffle, and the side baffles mating to the cowl and tucking up in between the rocker covers.

With such a small cowl, I think with good seals this will work just great, and doesn't leave the rocker covers out of the baffled air flow as well.

The inter-cylinder baffles (and probably lower tray) I will buy, but the back baffles, side baffles, and front baffles I will re-make by hand, bit by bit.

Thanks for your help everyone. I will post more pics of mine and info as I come across it!

Post Thanks / Like

I've got my baffles all drawn up in CAD. Lots of tweaking and test fitting using card stock printed at 1 to 1. They should get waterjet this week so I can fit them!

I'm wondering about finish. A fellow at the local airstrip suggested glass beading them... I think I kind of like that idea. But rather than paint, I think I may spend the money to have them clear anodized. Anyone have experience with anodize on 3003 baffles? I bet it would hold up awesome!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Found the real part numbers and drawings!

Univair's part list helped a lot. I should have bought that long ago. Then I found most of the drawings I was missing on the Shortwing Piper Club CD #1, not the PA-15/17 CD where I was looking.

The drawings for the front baffles are still missing, but Univair sells the baffles themselves. That will do.

I'm redoing my baffles again, this time to the blueprints. Tony, yours look very close to the prints.

Post Thanks / Like

So does anybody have any drawings or templates for the continental a65-8 for a pa-15?

Post Thanks / Like

Question for you guys, are the baffle drawings on the short wing cd for a continental 65? Or the lycoming?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Tom,
    I am sure they are for the Lycoming, going on the drawing numbers.
    Look at drawing 11616, "Powerplant".
    The powerplant dwg calls out the individual baffle drawing numbers for a Lycoming installation.

Tony

Post Thanks / Like

What’s the difference for the a-65? I have a project airplane that doesn’t have baffles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Engine profiles and baffles are completely different....
    Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Does your project plane have an A65?
    Probably the only way forward is to look at another Vagabond and take measurements or make templates.
    Left and right baffles are fairly straight forward in design. The rear one is more tricky as involves lots of bends and corners.
    How advanced are you with your project?
    Tony