Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Piper down thrustline

Post Thanks / Like

Default Piper down thrustline

Anyone know why Piper put a negative 2 degree thrustline in the j3, SC, lines? I found about why they put a -4 degree incidence in the tail of the Vag, but why the engine.
    Vag 4699H

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Piper down thrustline

My guess is stability designed in for the masses.....with varied piloting abilities

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 49clipper View Post
    Anyone know why Piper put a negative 2 degree thrustline in the j3, SC, lines? I found about why they put a -4 degree incidence in the tail of the Vag, but why the engine.
    Vag 4699H
    The Pacer / Tripacer is unique in a way- I checked my incidences trimmed for normal cruise and found "0" between the wing and stab - how does it keep the nose up? Down trustline - the crankshaft to wing relationship establishes the incidence for stability not the tail load as is conventional

Post Thanks / Like

Pacer and Tripacer are different in that the stab is adjustable in flight. I understand why Howard Piper did the stab like they did. It was because the CAA made them build in some trim authority for a power off glide. It had none prior, althought they said it flew fine and passed the rest of the flight test regime. But the engine makes me wonder. My new motor mount has no side thrust build in either. I am adjusting that now. I see no measurements from the drawings on that. I know Steve had mentioned 2 degrees, but I cannot find that anywhere in the plans.
    These old pipers, everyone I have measured is different in many ways.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 49clipper View Post
    Vag 4699H
    would like to hear about the Vag tail wiht -4 deg incidence, if you could. I presume neg incidence would effectively provide more nose up moment
    "Progress is our most important problem"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andya View Post
    would like to hear about the Vag tail wiht -4 deg incidence, if you could. I presume neg incidence would effectively provide more nose up moment
    I got that -4 degrees from the plans, also from a letter I have from Howard Piper discussing why. The CAA back then would not sign off on the Vags test flight envelope due to it not having enough trim authority in a power off glide. So, they moved the stab down, increased the size of the trim tab, and added the spring on the up elevator. Fixed the problem, but most likely slowed the aircraft down about 5-10 mph. I would like to hear from others who have also measured their Vag. Mine has a - incidence on the wing root when the plumb bob is over the centerpunch in the crosstube. Piper says it should be 0 degrees incidence on the wing. thats why I say, they are all different.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW I was taught that many light planes have a negative thrust line so that the addition of power will help in stall recovery (or at least not negatively impact stall recovery).

Post Thanks / Like

I think you may be right. They did try to build them as safe as possible for the average pilot.

Pacer24. That could be ture also. Anyway, I have mine set now, so on to the next hurdle.

Thanks for the replies.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Clopper, Pacer, Tripacer and 150 hp Pawnee have r degrees down and 2 degrees right built into the engine mount.