Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nose wheel strut rebuild

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nose wheel strut rebuild

My Colt has been apart for 30 years and I am wondering if I should rebuild the front strut. My strut is collapsed all the way and I'm sure there is fluid up top where my schrader valve is.#1. Should I just add air and see if it holds or just rebuild it? #2. Is it ok if fluid is up top at the schrader valve? #3. Is there a special spanner wrench for the top nut or did you use the screwdriver hammer method?

Thanks,
    Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Nose wheel strut rebuild

Bruce

IMHO- rebuild it-
    don't forget to do AD 64-05-04:

64-05-04 PIPER: Amdt. 693 Part 507 Federal Register February 29, 1964. Applies to Models PA-22, PA-22-108, PA-22-135, PA-22-150, and PA-22-160 Aircraft, Serial Numbers 22-1 through 22-9848.

Compliance required within 25 hours' time in service after the effective date of this AD, unless already accomplished within the preceding 475 hours' time in service, and every 500 hours' time in service thereafter.

(a) Remove the oleo strut, clean the upper bearing, Piper P/N 452333, and inspect the bearing to determine that its loading groove is on the top side. Remove bearings installed with the loading grooves on the under side.

(b) Inspect removed bearing, P/N 452333, to insure that 59 balls are installed, no binding or sticking exists, and that the bearing is not worn to the point where the balls are easily dislodged through the loading groove. If any of these defects are found, replace the bearing before further flight.

(c) Whenever a bearing is removed, clean and inspect the bearing mounting area to insure that it is free of burrs, protrusions, wear or other conditions which could cause bearing misalinement with the strut. Correct deficiencies prior to reinstallation of bearings.

(d) Repack bearings, P/N 452333, with MIL-G-3278 type lubricant.

(e) Reinstall bearings, P/N 452333, with the ball loading groove on the upper side.

(f) When both a new type sealed bearing Piper P/N 452419, and a boot Piper P/N 14087-00, or FAA approved equivalents are incorporated on the aircraft, compliance with (a), (b), (d) and (e) is no longer required.

(Piper Service Letter No. 405, dated October 1, 1963, and Piper Service Memo. No. 73 pertain to this same subject.)

This directive effective March 30, 1964.

The bearings were a pain to find-Had to come from North Carolina.... may have gotten the last ones....maybe someone here has a line on them or a superseded numbers

hope this helps

Shane-o

Post Thanks / Like

Steve gave us this number for the bearing:

"Bearing part number Piper 452 419 (B545DD)"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Shane-o. I was looking through some of the parts boxes that came with it and found a rebuild kit. I might as well rebuild it and check the bearings while I'm at it. Now the big question, how do I get it apart??? Is that info on a CD from SWPC ?

Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

When I did my 22 my bearing was bad and as I recall I got it from Univair and was expensive$$$$$$$$
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Univair shows it @ $82.90 OUCH !!! I only want 1, not the whole case, geeze !!!

Post Thanks / Like

As i recall.... By the time i got it to red deer it was in the order of 150 bucks
    Mumble mumble

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gliderman View Post
    Bruce

IMHO- rebuild it-
    don't forget to do AD 64-05-04:

64-05-04 PIPER: Amdt. 693 Part 507 Federal Register February 29, 1964. Applies to Models PA-22, PA-22-108, PA-22-135, PA-22-150, and PA-22-160 Aircraft, Serial Numbers 22-1 through 22-9848.

Compliance required within 25 hours' time in service after the effective date of this AD, unless already accomplished within the preceding 475 hours' time in service, and every 500 hours' time in service thereafter.

(a) Remove the oleo strut, clean the upper bearing, Piper P/N 452333, and inspect the bearing to determine that its loading groove is on the top side. Remove bearings installed with the loading grooves on the under side.

(b) Inspect removed bearing, P/N 452333, to insure that 59 balls are installed, no binding or sticking exists, and that the bearing is not worn to the point where the balls are easily dislodged through the loading groove. If any of these defects are found, replace the bearing before further flight.

(c) Whenever a bearing is removed, clean and inspect the bearing mounting area to insure that it is free of burrs, protrusions, wear or other conditions which could cause bearing misalinement with the strut. Correct deficiencies prior to reinstallation of bearings.

(d) Repack bearings, P/N 452333, with MIL-G-3278 type lubricant.

(e) Reinstall bearings, P/N 452333, with the ball loading groove on the upper side.

(f) When both a new type sealed bearing Piper P/N 452419, and a boot Piper P/N 14087-00, or FAA approved equivalents are incorporated on the aircraft, compliance with (a), (b), (d) and (e) is no longer required.

(Piper Service Letter No. 405, dated October 1, 1963, and Piper Service Memo. No. 73 pertain to this same subject.)

This directive effective March 30, 1964.

The bearings were a pain to find-Had to come from North Carolina.... may have gotten the last ones....maybe someone here has a line on them or a superseded numbers

hope this helps

Shane-o
    OK I've got to ask, in "A" what is the "loading groove" ? I have never heard this term before.
    I did get the nut off the top with a little heat, now I guess there's a cir-clip on the bottom I need to remove.

Post Thanks / Like

Bruce

going from memory here...

hope this makes sense...

when you remove the bearing you will see that when you look at it from the top down or bottom up that the bearing will not look the same. there will be a wider lip on one side.
    I think the narrower side is the loading groove. the wider side is installed down as this prevents the little balls from falling out....
    hopefully someone will confirm this as I'm not 100% sure......

Shane-o

Post Thanks / Like

Just to follow up.. I have to pull my nose strut since there has been nothing but c/w inspection on the AD (64-05-04).. I'd like to replace as described in the AD with part # 452 419 from piper.. I saw from your previous postings that the replacement part from univair is $82.00, but also see from sky geek that it's $299.00 (http://www.skygeek.com/piper-452-419-bearing.html) and gliderman [Shane-o] in previous post (http://www.shortwingpipers.org/forum...-strut-rebuild) mentioned ($150.00).. this is too wide of a price spread for me not to ask the question why?.. or am I missing something..?

Also..
    Any insights, experience and / or tips on pulling and replacing this bearing would be greatly appreciated.. It's on my list this week..

Thx
    Curt

Last edited by Steve Pierce; 06-12-2017 at 06:35 AM.