Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Another for the Wreckord

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Another for the Wreckord

...cough...cough...bearhawk...cough...

Post Thanks / Like

The bare frame is a Bearhawk...ready for the boot cowl, IO-520 permold heavy case (TSIO520WB) converted to naturally aspirated, 300 hp using the IO520D induction and fuel system. 3 blade square tip McCaulley prop w/o rpm limitations due to the counterweight arrangement. Mooney Acclaim carbon fiber cowl, Cessna rudder and brake modified to fit. Cessna seats with 3" of vertical and 6" front to rear adjustment. Wings are stored above the fuselage. Pulled the Bearhawk from the rotisserie Thursday to make room for the pacer.
    Mark M.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    Another for the Wreckord. Crumpled my PA-20 on the 23rd of December.....Need to rebuild the right wing, replace the gear, right lower motor mount area bent... Need to build a jack screw to move the that corner back into position. Will replace the firewall and boot cowl. Will make a three piece lower boot cowl...one that allows removal of the bottom section instead of how the original is with the joint in the middle. Thinking about Trimmers door stc's, Maule fuel valve and the PA18 gear modification. Called Charly Center...he's putting together a price quote for the Crosswind STOL wing tips and parts. Really want to move the aileron out and lengthen the flaps. Waiting on Avemco. Mark Moyle Platinum Ak. N7069K

Sorry. The other pages did not show up on my end. Dummy.
    Last edited by AKTieDown; 01-14-2014 at 09:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Chad, You must have missed this post on page 2. I agree with you, I like to learn from others as we but unfortunately I have had to learn a lot the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoyle View Post
    The bad decision was lack of focus in a 12-15 knot 80 degree cross wind. To many things on my mind. One was the engine had started running hot over Togiak Alaska. OAT was 33 F degrees. CHT climbed to 450, oil temp normally 175-180 climbed to 190 in less than two minutes. Decided to land in Togiak. Rapid decent and slip with the right rudder to the stop. 10 knot cross wind. Flared to land without a hop and made the taxiway turn. Shut down to check the oil level...right were its supposed to be. Added a quart anyway and pulled the winter cover off the oil cooler. So now I'm worried about an engine. Flew to Platinum following a path that was near iced over ponds and lakes....just in case the engine quit. Arriving Platinum, we circled the airstrip twice while keeping an eye on the two wind socks. Looked like 15 and no gusts. On final the crab into the wind increased while we bounced around. I should have aborted right then. Went for it anyway. One notch of flaps, 950 rpm, aligned with the runway, right wing down, tried to get the tailwheel then the right wheel down first. A gust made the airplane fly right at landing stall and pushed us toward the left side runway lights....I reduce left rudder pressure to allow the cross wind to push the tail left and made the mistake of letting off some of aileron pressure keeping the right wing way down. Thought is still had control. Not! another gust hit...Not on the throttle quick enough as I had both hands on the yoke pulling to the stop. We weather vaned into the wind and came down hard on the left wheel. I think that's when we busted the inner wheel bear race snap ring groove. Now were heading into the wind in ground effect. The ground wasn't flat. Down through a wide ditch, just stated flying when the right main hit the far side of the ditch ripping off that gear leg. My wife described the crumple job as landing on a soft couch.

My lesson.... I should have aborted on final and made another attempt. Second option was landing in the village of Goodnews Bay 12 miles away. The wind there was straight down the runway. Or....I could have landed on the road 3 miles south of Platinum and taxied home from there. Also...forget about everything and concentrate on one thing....landing or deciding not to land!

Mark M.

Post Thanks / Like

Fuselage placed into the rotisserie today. Log book show the right gear and wing have been previously damaged. Looks like the left side was damaged in the past as well. Left side repair looks good. Right side... Not good, bent tubing and misaligned channel where the sheet metal attaches. Center rudder pedal mount bent and cracked....crack is rusty so it's been there a while. Not sure if the AD for the front door post has been addressed. There is a little surface rust at the lower portion below the door sill plate.
    Mark M.