Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Another for the Wreckord

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Another for the Wreckord

10 minutes after the bad decision

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Have repaired several like that. Look at the bottom of the bent tube for a kink just outboard of the weld around the cluster.

Post Thanks / Like

M,

welcome to the club...

Sounds like you are going to turn her into a major upgrade project!

You mentioned insurance. I might be way off base here, but unless you have her insured for 40-50K the adjuster is most likely going to total you bird. This might be a good thing. Afterwards they will put the aircraft up for bid but most who will bid, and many will, do not realize it would cost about about 10K just to get her to the road system. Just bid low, really low. Most likely you will be dealing with K.W. and he is a straight shooter so feel free to discuss these options with him before hand. Either way it still might be easier and more cost effective to just cash out and then purchase a flying 20 with a good fuse and set of wings.

Regardless I wouldn't mind flying up your way(PAPM?) from 5NK for lunch and a tank of gas in exchange for giving her a look. And before you ask, NO, I am not looking for any more work or parts. Juts a reason to go flying and help out another aviator.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

I'm anticipating cashing out less deductible especially since the prop is toast and O-290 has to come apart....and I bought an O320 a few months ago to replace it...Kevin said the insurance company would sell me the Pacer. May tie into a conversation we had about PA32 AIH wadded up here three to four years ago. I offered $7k for the airplane. Kevin paid to store it in my hanger 5 months and to disassemble it. Then.... It was shipped to anchorage in Arctic Circles old skyvan. It was sold for $13k....

I have unleaded 87 octane. And I keep the runway free of snow....if icy scored for a bit of braking...not much.

Found some more bent tubing after pulling the firewall and boot cowl today. Will have to build a fixture to pull the frame straight. Longeron is cracked at the wing mount. Daughter arrived today from Anchorage to assist pulling the wings and to help move the fuselage out of the hanger into the shop....need to make room and pull the Bearhawk out.
    Mark M.

Post Thanks / Like

Err, Rocket
    Any relationship to Sherry Thomas in Naknek?
    Mark M.

Post Thanks / Like

Just spoke to the insurance adjuster. Looks like a total. Avemco will be selling me back the airplane. And will not be going up for bid. Was told to hold off buying repair parts until he speaks with the insurer tomorrow.
    Mark M.

piperrocks2013

Little off topic here. It amazes me how good this group is, how each other help one another. To bad I don't see this in my neck of the woods. mmoyle sorry to hear about your plane, but I'm sure you be flying in no time.

Jared

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds likely to work out, good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to see, but I think when your done , something to behold will be in front of you! Any chance we here can learn from what you called a bad decision? Or at least give us words of advice ? Thanks, and good luck, Moe

Post Thanks / Like

The bad decision was lack of focus in a 12-15 knot 80 degree cross wind. To many things on my mind. One was the engine had started running hot over Togiak Alaska. OAT was 33 F degrees. CHT climbed to 450, oil temp normally 175-180 climbed to 190 in less than two minutes. Decided to land in Togiak. Rapid decent and slip with the right rudder to the stop. 10 knot cross wind. Flared to land without a hop and made the taxiway turn. Shut down to check the oil level...right were its supposed to be. Added a quart anyway and pulled the winter cover off the oil cooler. So now I'm worried about an engine. Flew to Platinum following a path that was near iced over ponds and lakes....just in case the engine quit. Arriving Platinum, we circled the airstrip twice while keeping an eye on the two wind socks. Looked like 15 and no gusts. On final the crab into the wind increased while we bounced around. I should have aborted right then. Went for it anyway. One notch of flaps, 950 rpm, aligned with the runway, right wing down, tried to get the tailwheel then the right wheel down first. A gust made the airplane fly right at landing stall and pushed us toward the left side runway lights....I reduce left rudder pressure to allow the cross wind to push the tail left and made the mistake of letting off some of aileron pressure keeping the right wing way down. Thought is still had control. Not! another gust hit...Not on the throttle quick enough as I had both hands on the yoke pulling to the stop. We weather vaned into the wind and came down hard on the left wheel. I think that's when we busted the inner wheel bear race snap ring groove. Now were heading into the wind in ground effect. The ground wasn't flat. Down through a wide ditch, just stated flying when the right main hit the far side of the ditch ripping off that gear leg. My wife described the crumple job as landing on a soft couch.

My lesson.... I should have aborted on final and made another attempt. Second option was landing in the village of Goodnews Bay 12 miles away. The wind there was straight down the runway. Or....I could have landed on the road 3 miles south of Platinum and taxied home from there. Also...forget about everything and concentrate on one thing....landing or deciding not to land!

Mark M.