Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Westach Dual Needle Fuel Gauge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Westach Dual Needle Fuel Gauge

The resistor broke on the back of our single fuel tank indicator guage and it is proving impossible to get to it to fix it without dismantling a fair bit of the aircraft. Has anyone installed the Westach Model 2DA4-5 guage in their aircraft in lieu of the single tank guage with switch?

Before we get it in from the States to New Zealand it would be nice to know it is a good replacement. It will be nice combined with the safety aspect of having both fuel tank contents displayed at the same time too.

Cheers Bernard.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bernard,
    I bought that exact unit for my 55 PA22, but have not yet installed it in the plane.
    Electrically it is compatible, the wires from the switch and so forth should be sketched out and planned to make it the least painful work - it certainly is in a tough, tight spot.
    Search Westach in the SEARCH box, there are a few comments in there from the experts.
    Good luck and please share your experience with us, helpful hints are appreciated.

Best,
    Glen
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Glen,

Thanks for the tips, was hoping someone had instaĺled it already. Don't really want to be the guinea pig on this.Just waiting for a price from Westach to ship from the States.Wil keep you informed how it goes.

Bernard.

Post Thanks / Like

I installed two of these fuel gauges, one for each tank http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...es/1002721.php

Post Thanks / Like

Bernard, I´ve installed it. See my pictures in the earlier reply. It works fine. You don´t need the resistor from the old one any more. Take care to get the 30 ohm one. The installation is easy. You have the tank wires to both tanks on the toggle switch. Figure out to find the right and left one. The next two wires are ground and 12V. Connect these 4 wires to the gauge and you´re made it.

Post Thanks / Like

NRW-Aviator,

Thanks, couldn't quite see your pictures clearly on the Tablet, but on the computer the detail is much better. Sent email to Westach customer support and heard nothing but the email to their Tech person Mike was replied too within the hour a couple of days later. No phone number on their website but Mike supplied one to me. Now just have to talk to the our mechanic to see if he is happy with this part or not.

Tp109,

Would love to have 2 PMA gauges but Real Estate will be an issue on the panel as we have to leave the other one in blacked out if we cannot get to it eventually. The clock looks like it will have to go to make way.

Attached are a few pictures - the broken resistor and our panel showing the only gap we have. The resistor case is broken but on closer look in the last few days the wire may just be resting against the gauge case and shorting out - will check this first before buying a replacement gauge.

AND Yes, we have fixed the Pilot's right side rudder pedal misalignment - holes drilled wrong before installation. Rudder assembly taken out, holes welded up and then redrilled.

Thanks, Bernard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, Bernard, that panel looks just about identical to my '55, N2714P, SN22-3020.
    I even painted the instrument bezel with the same black crackle paint!
    I wrapped my wheels and the windshield struts with black vinyl steering wheel wrap, really dresses up the old girl.

I plan to install the Westach dual needle fuel gauge after the flying season end here in Oregon, after Christmas.
    Not looking forward to that, I know its gonna make me say bad words and impugn Mr. Piper's ancestors.

GG
    Glen Geller
    1955 PA22-150 "One For Papa!"

Post Thanks / Like

Hello Glen

Were you able to get this gauge to work? I have the single gauge/toggle I would like to change out.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I have it and it works fine