Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do before hanging firewall?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What to do before hanging firewall?

Hi All,
    Always good to hear experienced advice and tips. Please except prior thanks.
    I'm about to hang the firewall, any special tips on what to accomplish prior to
    closing up that wonderful opening in the front of the cabin??? Rudder pedals are in,
    Rudder cables are secured, (PA-22), I will secure electrical as the factory did.
    Any thing that experience teaches you? Moe

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What to do before hanging firewall?

I sure would appreciate it if you took some pics of the process and then posted them....thanks
    Last edited by Pacerfgoe; 03-09-2012 at 01:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hook up the fresh air vent on the pilots side of the boot cowl. Real pain to do under the panel.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve - That's exactly what I'm talking about !
    I would have never thought of doing that first. I'll try and post some pix's.

Post Thanks / Like

Moe,
    it is customary to offer a cigarette, no that is shooting, hanging requires a blindfold, thats it blindfold.

Pictures are great...rather then you know, going at it blind, which is what you will have to do later if we can not remember everything!

The one thing that comes to my mind is having the lower motor mount bolts installed before the rudder bars. Way easer to do it before hand!

Rocket
    ps. you can always tell when I have just returned from a really nice flight...I get real smarty!

Post Thanks / Like

Firewall blanket on the inside if you are going to use one. I got mine from airtex. Can't put it on later. I put the firewall on then made the new cowls so I can't help much other than that.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

For me, the boot cowl goes on as the very last non-removal item, except for windshield. If you can get your hand where the boot cowl would prevent it you can do just about anything.
    And, of course, Frank is absolutely correct about the blanket.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

I did use an Airtex blanket and it is on - thanks.
    I also had to remove the pedals to put the bolts on the bottom - learned my lesson.
    The boot cowls will stay off for now- I still have some electrical to do. I will install hardware for
    W/S heat tubes and also steering rods. (New Seals for steering rods)
    Thanks for inputs, I will post pictures - But I'm out of town for a while. Moe.
    (Work gets in the way)

Post Thanks / Like

Moe,
    I know this is a ways off yet but I do not fit the windshield until the wings are in place. That way the one can get it to fair with the wing top and leading edge perfectly and the wing root covers lay flat. I have seen some ugly ones out there.

Rocket

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting ready to install a firewall and blanket and the old blanket doesn't really answer my questions. It seems like one wouldn't want a bunch of fabric between the mating surfaces on the fuselage, firewall, and mount (right where the bolts penetrate). I'm thinking it could bunch unevenly, or have an impact on torque readings, etc. On the other hand, the fabric/insulation would provide a dampening effect similar to the nylon washers that are apparently used on some Pipers.

How big should the mounting bolt holes in the firewall blanket be? Should I make the holes bigger so that the surfaces touch, our just big enough for the bolts and then sandwich the blanket in there?

Thanks!