Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: battery minder install

Post Thanks / Like

Default battery minder install

Anyone have any tips on the best way to install the battery minder leads semi-permanently? The battery minder leads have two ring terminals that connect to the battery terminals, then a short wire and plug to connect/disconnect the charger easily. After looking at the battery box, there is essentially no way to run the cord out of the box as everything is sealed or vented to the outside. I know I can just hook it up when in the hangar with alligator clips but it's a bit of a pain to remove/reinstall the seat and the battery box lid every time. Just wondering if anyone had any tips on what they have done.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: battery minder install

I installed the leads by running the positive lead through the positive battery cable hole, alongside the battery cable and connected it on the positive side of the battery. The ground side I connected where the ground battery cable under the ground cable on the frame outside the battery box. I then used a wire tie to relieve stress on the leads in front of the battery box. It is easy to connect inside the cabin yet is out of the way when not connected. I always plug the leads when not in use just to ensure they can't possibly short out the battery.

Post Thanks / Like

hmm ok. I thought about that but the positive cable where it goes through the grommet is a pretty close fit. I couldn't get either end of the lead through... but I bet I could get one wire in there if I take the terminal off, slide the wire through the grommet, then put on a new ring terminal. thanks..

Post Thanks / Like

I removed the battery cable, inserted the battery minder lead (ring terminal), then put the battery cable back through the grommet. It wasn't difficult as I recall. I didn't have to cut any wires, but as I recall, I did pull the wires apart on the BMW lead.

Post Thanks / Like

Even if you put new ends on the wires, Also a dab of grease goes a long way in getting the wire to feed through grommet, same way mine is done. I also have a cigarette lighter plug hiding under seat just in case I ever lose GPS battery

Post Thanks / Like

I have the bogart box mod and cables and did the same with the pos. going in and the neg. on the outside. I leave the tender on the step when it is hooked up.
    -Super Stub-

Post Thanks / Like

Which battery minder are you all using?

Post Thanks / Like

Just a plain old farm and fleet 12v I only mount the plug in the plane. the unit it self sets on a ladder outside the plane

Post Thanks / Like

I've got the bogart box mod as well... As far as the battery minder, I've got the model #12117. It's on a Gil lead-acid battery and I just like to keep it on during the winter at least to keep the battery in good shape over the winter. Not the 4x price aviation model. I don't think it's worth spending the big bucks with a simple lead acid battery. I had been flying every week this winter until January but we had a nasty inversion here and were solid IMC for almost a month straight so it's nice to keep the battery in top shape.

Post Thanks / Like

HI,
    I wired a cigarette lighter style power outlet to the positive side of battery, fused of course. I use this for old DC noise canceling headset and then I usually plug in a small solar panel to battery when not flying. Last battery lasted about five years instead of the usual two. If you were to wire the right end on your battery minder it would be an easy hookup.
    Doug.