Welcome! Becoming a registered user of ShortWingPipers.Org is free and easy! Click the "Register" link found in the upper right hand corner of this screen. It's easy and you can then join the fun posting and learning about Short Wing Pipers!

Thanks Thanks:  0
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Trimmer stc for PA18 gear modifications

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trimmer stc for PA18 gear modifications

Quote Originally Posted by wmvosburgh View Post
    What sort of brakes are used in this set up? I'm familiar with the Williams conversion for dual brakes, but from what I hear that reduces leg room by a smidgeon and adds a significant amount of weight to the whole setup. How does this set up compare in weight and available legroom?
    I'm sure this has been addressed somewhere in the forum but I haven't been able to figure it out.
    I'd like to go the dual brake pedal route for instruction on wheels, but the cost and expense will limit the instruction to floats and skis for the time being.
    The toe brakes are original to the airframe. Brake cylinders are Grove from a prior field approval. Converting the PA22 rudder pedal assembly to toe brakes....the toe part isn’t difficult. You will need to fabricate the master cylinder mounting brackets. Duplicating the original would be very difficult. Fabricating a couple pieces of 4310 angle would be fairly easy.
    I haven’t flow this Pacer yet with the Trimmer modifications....still working in the wings...if you’re six foot plus...the williams toe brake conversion isn’t comfortable...I’ll measure the distance between the seat back and the Williams toe brake set up on Marv’s PA22/20...and my 1950 Pacer...that started its life with dual toe brakes..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by mmoyle; 06-25-2018 at 12:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Trimmer stc for PA18 gear modifications

Regarding the TRIMMER gear STC, is the dual brake setup an option of an integral part of the modification. I don't want dual brakes and am considering this STC on my -16.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dhillier View Post
    Regarding the TRIMMER gear STC, is the dual brake setup an option of an integral part of the modification. I don't want dual brakes and am considering this STC on my -16.
    I’d give Eddie Trimmer a call...odds are he’ll say...use your original brake set up.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'd appreciate the info on this. I'd imagine there might be some weight saving in this set up as well? It certainly has a cleaner look to it than the cessna style pedals. I also imagine the clearance issues encountered by some with full rudder travel would be eliminated by the smaller toe pedal size.
    Great looking pacer, by the way. Is that rotisserie a design of your own? I've got all the steel collected to build mine. Looks like you used a u-joint for part of the rotating assembly?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trimmer stc for PA18 gear modifications

Yes, my design. Uses the front axle shafts from a Ford F-150 and the needle bearings for the axle spindle. Bit of machine work to make the rotating parts fit. Firewall end of the rotisserie has a fixed thrust, the tail post end axle shaft slides fore and aft on the needle bearings...two needle bearings per axle shaft.
    Here’s a short video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozV9k9jGb9g
    The front firewall mount is adjustable to find center mass..as in when I add weight to the top of the fuselage the universal joint assemble can be moved upwards on the square tubing by loosening the set screws. It worked very well on the Pacer...very little effort to rotate the entire fuselage into a comfortable position for welding, covering and painting. If you’d like detailed pictures can provide. There are some hidden features. The spindles can be adjusted up and down. To prevent the assembly from rotating there is a square tube inside the vertical pipe...and a guide...I’ll just get pics...

Last edited by mmoyle; 06-26-2018 at 12:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

AWESOME. Thanks, mmoyle. This is a gold mine for someone wanting to build a rotisserie. I may not get mine to come out as slick as that, but anything close would be handy as heck.
    I think I've got the exact same fabric scheme on my project seats.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPerkins View Post
    Well on Eddie's stc you replace two tubes, the one from the new front gear attach to the front left wing attach fitting and the tube that goes across from me nt gearnattachcto front gear attach, with heavier wall tube. Then you add a tube between the rear attach fittings and a couple of gusset tubes above it. Then change out the gingerbread on the bottom. So it a little more involved on the fuselage. But, 3 inch hd gear from airframes ak is $505 a side, last time I looked at univair it was pushing $1300 a side.
    Does anyone have pictures showing the removal and replacement of the fuselage tubing required for the Trimmer gear STC?
    "You can only tie the record for flying low."

Post Thanks / Like

The most useful photos are in a thread entitled “in work Trimmer mod pictures”.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are more pictures in this thread. https://www.shortwingpipers.org/foru...-Trimmer-style